PSA: Rehoboth Beach, Delaware is nearly the perfect east coast beach town

It really is nearly the perfect family beach destination if you are going to the east coast. I do like Maine–but there aren’t really swimmable beaches there like here. It is urban enough and mostly historic but with quality buildings, housing stock, and not too dense. I rode my bicycle to Lewes through a state park yesterday, went kayaking at another state park this morning, and am going deep sea fishing tomorrow. I rode my bicycle by Jill Biden (and there was a bald eagle stealing a fish from an osprey when I waved). Norman Rockwell would love this place–especially if he liked painting affluent families, with two dads and multiethnic adopted children, vacationing from DC. We will never go to Hilton Head, the Outer Banks, or any beach town in GA, SC, NC, VA, and/or MD again. This blows them out of the water; there are also towers built all along the beach to blow Nazi submarines out of the water. There is a wonderful wine shop, Bin 66, that has kept my addiction in check (also brought a 1995 Super Tuscan, a 2001 St. Helena, and a 2012 Moussé Fils Terre d’illite Blanc de Noirs from home.) Robert Panzer and Down to Earth Wines are only an hour away if you really want to have fun! Wayne and Garth were wrong–Delaware is wonderful.

Used to go there on family trips as a kid in late 80s, but have not been since. My memories are pretty muddled, but your description sounds nicer than what I remember, although the two dads comment is accurate. Was a bit of a shock to the system for my parents coming from WV.

If I ever make it out that way, will have to check it out. Sounds nice.

And Dogfish Head brewpub is also killer btw.

If you like that area, take the ferry and spend time in Cape May, some great dining and byo

As we have home in RB, I agree with your post. That said, the traffic is really an issue as developers seem to be unchecked and large tracts of multiple homes keep getting built. No corkage is a hassle but lists in some of the restaurants are ok. Locals know happy hour is the way to go during the summer as offseason many venues have dining specials. Bin 66 has the most interesting selection of wines here though Teller in Lewes is good. Get a Bin 66 bag and you get 10% off 6 bottles or more.

I really wish they didn’t build the main road right along the beach in Cape May. It just isn’t as pedestrian and bicycle friendly. That kills it for me. Much higher density too. Some neat houses and history–but I’ll stick to Rehoboth and Lewes.

Thanks for the heads up on Teller. Going to check out Revelation Brewery tonight after we eat the flounder we caught. Dogfish Head sold to Sam Adams; still pretty good but think Revelation>Dogfish?

It is also the best town/city for dining in Delaware. Traffic out on route 1 is brutal at times, though.

Not a fan of the merger as DH is better beer so I hope the quality doesn’t suffer but the owners of DH have done a lot for the community and certainly deserve their payday. Yet another brew pub will open next to Blue Coast on Route 1 (same ownership group) this fall featuring Troegs beer.

Thanks for the post. I haven’t been in decades. While an “urban” beach is, to me, an oxymoron, and my tastes are decidedly weighted to the Outer Banks, I do plan on exploring the beaches north of here when I retire, and Rehoboth and Cape May are on the list

I just mean as compared to suburban. The main streets have zero set backs for the commercial strips and the streets are on a grid. There are no strip malls or mega marts with huge parking lots. It’s built for humans, not cars. There isn’t crappy post war ticket tacky and only a few McMansions. We went to Duck every year for years and this is our fifth year at Rehoboth. To each their own.

My cousins used to own a restaurant there, but they couldn’t make it work. He used to be a serious chef in DC, and I think they tried to do too much. Too bad, he’s a very talented chef.

Ii you don’t like the Outer Banks, you don’t really like the beach.

Not sure why the photos are all upside down but the beach is just as good
30F294C2-79BA-4012-B796-53F3273F2C90.jpeg
FAA5D731-4879-4D43-8654-EFB2C809CFDD.jpeg
7555574F-5EBB-4601-93AB-E3781EF07456.jpeg
3BFC799D-D948-44DC-9D7C-3180FA78ACA9.jpeg
530B4DD4-BEDE-45B5-99F2-55E17189D8FB.jpeg
FA09B6CB-ACB8-4416-B33A-0C548C400C95.jpeg

Josh, I believe that technically that is Lewes and not Rehoboth Beach? You can ride a bike to that from Rehoboth, though.

Sarah, was that Espuma?

It wasn’t Bramble and Brine was it? We loved that place

We have been to Rehoboth a few times. It is ok. Water is too cold - it is at all the Delaware and Maryland beaches IMHO. Give me Kiawah, Hilton Head, Savannah Beach, etc. But, to be honest, I am not that much of a beach person and like Kiawah and Hilton Head better because of the golf.

In the ocean yesterday in RB-delightful temperature. Beautiful day with low humidity so HH on the beach followed with friends. Perfect!

Fine in August and September I’m sure, June is a likely a little chilly.

June is cooler but I’ve been in the water many times and also in October.