Visiting Willamette wine region in October

I plan to visit the area October 24-26 with my wife, daughter, sister and her husband. We would like to get a house to rent for three nights. Where is the best area to stay?
I enjoy more new world style pinots. I like Coleen Clemens pinots and Chehalem
What wineries would you recommend to visit?

Those producers are in/near Newberg. Shorter drive from Portland. New world style…and fairly close, consider Archery Summit, Domaine Serene, Adelsheim, Bergstrom, Penner-Ash, Sineann, probably White Rose. Also consider Longplay, Le Cadeau and JK Carriere. There are many dozens of options…but that should get you going and all fairly convenient to Newberg. You can spend a lot of time driving around unproductively. Best to clump visits near each other if possible.

RT

Coleen Clemens is pretty much in the middle of no where. I’d visit Chehalem on the way out and stay in McMinnville. Just as close to plenty of new world-style producers - Ken Wright, R. Stuart, Domaine Obscene, Durant, Penner-Ash, Shea, etc. The Allison (Newberg) is probably the nicest place to stay, but it’s really expensive and you’re isolated (drive to dinner). McMinnville has the Atticus - probably the second nicest place to stay in wine country. It’s really expensive too, but at least you have a multitude of restaurants and wine bars that you can walk to.

Probably easier to find a VRBO in McMinnville as well…

Rick knows McMinnville well, but Newberg has upped its game in the past couple of years.
I’ve had multiple guests in my tasting room walk from Newberg VRBOs, lovely Victorian homes near George Fox University, that are quite close to downtown.
And with regard to dining, I would submit that Newberg - with Painted Lady, Recipe, Ruddick Wood, and Rosmarino Osteria Italiana has four great restaurants within walking distance (so not even including Jory at the Allison), along with some friendly watering holes - Barley & Vine and Bar Deux. (True, I might be biased.)

UWe are renting a house in Dundee for 3 nights October 24-26. Planning to visit Bergstrom, Chehalem, colene Clemens, Patricia Green, Longplay, Domaine Drouhin and Eminent Domaine

Board member Vincent Fritzsche is a good man making really nice pinots and chards worth looking into at Vincent in Amity.
And we really enjoyed our tasting with Ken Pahlow at Walter Scott in Salem. Excellent chards.
Also worth checking out 00 and Kelley Fox.

I like King Estates for non-pinots.

Yes visit the Todd’s. Hamina in McMinnville and Hansen in Newberg. Both places are great. I also like Vincent in Eola Amity Hills, Evesham Wood near Salem, Goodfellow in McMinnville, Anderson Family in Newberg, Belle Pente in Carlton, Seven of Hearts in Carlton, and Walter Scott near Salem.

Returned from our trip. Really enjoyed Bergstrom(joined their wine club), Chehalem- they served us about 10 wines, Dominio IV- nice Grenache and Tempranillo, Eminent Domaine- beautiful property, Longplay- great tasting with Todd. I joined their wine club- great deal and only $1 for shipping 6 bottles- presently sending out his 2014 pinots.

Argyle gives a beautiful tasting of some great bubbly. Domaine Serene us upper crust classy.

Anyone aware of a good winery map of WV ? I’m looking to better understand the individual AVA’s as well as potential trip planning.

cheers

Thanks Marshall !

You can use their online map or order the brochure. I consider the map in the brochure to be useful, but it doesn’t show everyone, especially the little guys. The interactive map is kind of annoying.

And if you want to geek out over my favorite AVA:

Did you end up visiting last October or postponed? If not, let us know and we can suggest our favorite hotels (The Atticus in McMinnville or The Black Walnut in Dundee), restaurants (Rosmarino, Recipe, CAPO and more), and wineries depending on what you’re looking for (besides great wine that is!). We also love to offer special barrel tastings to the Berserker Community. Hush hush.