Greece

Hello all. I am in the early stages of planning a trip to Greece around Easter next spring. Wanted to see if anyone here who’s traveled to the region could advise on any must-visit vineyard/winery (in terms of setting, architecture, quality of wine, etc.). Additionally, any recommendations for must-get producers (preferably not available in the States) would be most welcome.

Hi Xavier,

Can you share where specifically you are thinking about traveling in Greece? Are you going during Orthodox Easter?

Hi Gus,
I have not decided yet so and was thinking more along the lines of building my trip around things that really excite me, so if there’s a vineyard I just have to go to, that’ll be my building block. I will be there leading to Orthodox Easter (the 20th), from around the 10th or even earlier.

Gotcha. I would recommend Santorini but the islands can be a bit dicey this time of the year…windy, etc.

I would recommend either the northern part (Thessaloniki) or the southern part (Peloponnese). I would definitely stay away from Good Friday to Easter Sunday week. This is by far the most holiest times for Greeks.

I will ask a few folks for specific recommendations…

Santorini is da bomb, love me some Asyrtiko too. Not sure I’d build a trip around a particular winery there, but the island is certainly worth seeing.

There are two, maybe three, places on Santorini that are worthwhile visiting. Again, it depends on what you want to see and do.

If you want to build a trip around wine that excites you, you proably want to focus on another country… :wink: