A world's best list that is actually interesting...

Despite the awkward publishing of the list on two different websites (split in half by geography), this from Besha Rodell for Food & Wine + Travel & Leisure is a fascinating map to what is a clear departure from other world’s best lists. For those of you not familiar, Besha is a fantastic food writer/critic now based in Australia who used to live in and cover LA and Atlanta. She hit over 80 restaurants herself around the world in the period of a couple months, culled from a panel of experts, then narrowed it down to 30 based, critically, on the restaurants’ ability to express local culture.

From Besha, “What this list celebrates is cuisine and culture, not rankings and numbers. To have the globe reduced to one expensive tasting menu after another is to miss out on a true taste of the world. What I want when I travel is a meal that teaches me something about a region’s people and their tastes and lives. That’s what this list is about.”

Sadly, I’ve only been to TWO of these thirty, and haven’t even heard of maybe a third of the restaurants. I love it.

North America, South America, Africa + Middle East:

Asia, Australia, and Europe:

Fun list(s). I haven’t heard of probably half of them, but have been to 7 and based on those think she does a solid enough job at doing what she’s intending to do. I’ll give her some extra credit for the write up of Oriole’s wine pairing in the companion article.

I want to eat at all these places.

On her Oriole recommendation alone I have to commend her, she really knows her stuff!! champagne.gif

Truth be told I am friends with the Oriole Sommelier Aaron and he has done an amazing job developing the wine program there. A must go place if you are in Chicago as the food is quite amazing. I am hoping they will see 3 Michelin stars soon.

George

Agree on all counts. Aaron consistently does a fantastic job with the pairings and the recognition is great.

Swan Oyster Bar in SF is so much fun. That place is a great choice. It is local. Very personal. Everything is presented with care. You don’t have to have 3 Michelin stars to present a great food product.

A good read. Thanks

That was great! Thanks for sharing

I reading online after dinner. Then I find this thread. Now I’m hungry again.