Little Things Mean a Lot - the Travel Version

I travel a lot, for business and for pleasure. Over the years, I’ve accumulated a list of little things, not obvious ones, that improve my travel experience to a disproportionate degree. I’m not talking band-aids and nail scissors, though those things are important, too. I mean the “duh, why didn’t I think of that?!” things. Here are a few of mine - I’d love to hear yours!

1. at least one bandanna or cloth napkin. You never know when something will spill, or there won’t be any tissues, or you’re suddenly dripping sweat. I travel with 2-3 and wash one out almost every night. Yesterday in Hong Kong I used one as a bib when we stopped for noodle soup and I didn’t want to splash on my nice top.

2. empty plastic baggies. These have saved me mess and hassle on so many occasions when toiletries have exploded or something gets soaked and there’s no time to dry it out.

3. a few sets of plastic utensils or disposable chopsticks. We always end up using these, and sometimes need to reload during a trip.

4. a small pair of binoculars. I was gifted a pair and was astounded how much fun it was to have them along for scenic vistas or hotel room views over a city.

5. a cable to connect the phone to the car stereo. Yes, I’m sure this one is obvious to many younger people, but it was new for me when my husband first did it. It’s such a delight to have our own music on long drives. I know it’s possible to pair via Bluetooth - this is more reliable.

6. a little bag of good sea salt, like Maldon.

7. (edited to include this) a little notebook. So much easier than jotting things down on the back of receipts or scraps and not knowing which pocket they got stuffed in.

That’s a few favorites. We also have kitchen kit we travel with when going to AirBnB’s (why is there NEVER a decent vegetable peeler or a rubber spatula?), and of course we bring stems and corkscrews and booze. But those can go in another thread. :slight_smile:

When I was traveling for work I’d always bring a binder clip to clip together curtains that left a sliver of light through.

Corkscrew

An old pair of Church’s slippers, for the plane journey if nothing else.

A block of shaving soap and shaving brush which makes the carry-on simpler.

1. Multi plug unit - so one converter can equal 3 plugs and 2 usb chargers

2. Zip lock bags - useful in many places. Much like Sarah’s empty plastic bag basically, but with a seal

3. When I used to travel a ton for work but had to fly economic, I had an inflatable seat air mattress which made the seat much more comfortable. But overkill if u aren’t flying all the time :wink:

That’s a great tip. I always have a binder clip in my toiletries bag to cover my razor so that I don’t slice my hand reaching into the bag.

A luggage scale. They are cheap and light and prevent unwanted charges at check in.

George

I’d be careful with this one…

[rofl.gif]

I’ve lost a couple via TSA when I wasn’t checking bags. Just ordered a luggage scale.

This is a great idea, but when you forget your binder clip, steal your significant others plastic hair thingy…not sure what it’s called, but same concept as the binder clip.

If possible nothing.

Pocketknife with a corkscrew . Also has knives , screwdriver, scissor , tweezer , toothpick and other little tools. So practical/useful.

I would use one of the pants hangers in the closet to solve this.

Any particular scale u like? I’m looking for one but they are all fairly cheap and so many brands.

I always travel with a monopole ahso wine opening. it has no knife TSA and screening never stops me.
Large gallon size zip lock bags are great to have.

this one seemed to be ok. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NW62PCA/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a cheap one off Amazon. It has probably lasted me 8 years. I have to replace the battery twice. I do prefer that the handle is a complete loop. Makes it easier to pick up and hold the bag while the scale reads. Something like this. https://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Voyager-Capacity-SmartGrip/dp/B004EZG9X4/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=luggage+scale&qid=1568063892&s=gateway&sr=8-14

George

I also find when traveling over seas with all the phones/iPads etc we have to charge this is quite convenient.

https://www.amazon.com/Multiple-Charger-LENCENT-Worldwide-International/dp/B077VFGNYZ/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=European+plug+adapter+USB&qid=1568064148&s=gateway&sr=8-6

George

cool. ordered one :smiley:

I travel intl for business a lot. The best thing has been a multi-plug adapter - 2 outlets and 2 USB - with a set of changeable prongs so I never have to worry about what country takes what plug. Also helps coworkers who forget adapters. Also have taken a few of the amenity kit bags and they are useful for storing cords/toiletries/etc.

Also APEC card and Global Entry make all the difference when traveling to and from Asia when clearing customs in and out of all participating countries. My wait has never been more than 5-10 min. Just need for Europe to get on board with something.