Downtown Philadelphia Wine Shop Recommendation

Staying close to the convention center. I would appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!

It’s a state run system, so pretty much all stores are the same - Fine Wine and Good Spirits. The premium ones are a little better. There are a few small shops that are licensed as well, but not many and selection is limited. An occasional gem bottle can be found at one or another store, but that’s pretty random. The biggest one in that area might be the location at Market and (roughly) 20th. Sorry - buying wine in Pennsylvania sucks.

Sarah is correct about the big brother State monopoly. There are some tiny glimmers of change with small bottle shops starting to get in to the game.

None are “destinations” yet, IMHO. DiBruno’s (Rittenhouse) is always worth a look, primarily for the food. The nearest PLCB wine shop to the Convention Center is between 11th and 12th on Chestnut and you can probably find something drinkable. PLCB store staff will be essentially useless. I prefer Moore Brothers in Pennsauken…a bit of a haul but the selections are solid and the staff is quite knowledgeable. Their list of producers is usually off the beaten path and they stress affordable drinkability, but I’ve always come away with something satisfying.

RT

Thanks Sarah and Richard.

Sarah and Richard mention small licensed ‘bottle shops’. I’ve not yet been and it is a bit of a hike from the convention center but if you find yourself near Headhouse check out the shop at Bloomsday Cafe https://bloomsdaycafe.com/potation. The list, and presumably the shop, was created by the best restaurant wine person in Philadelphia (and a friend of Sarah’s IIRC).

Prices will likely be a bit shocking.

Yes, Tim is a good friend and is very excited about Bloomsday. It’s a lovely cafe, with a nice menu and atmosphere that we’ve enjoyed visiting a few times. I haven’t visited the bottle shop part, though, mostly because its focus is on natural wine, which is not at all my thing. I am sure it’s a good selection if you happen to lean that way.