Loreto, MX

Heading there this weekend to play TPC Dazante Bay. Staying in town and looking for dinner recommendations. Anyone been there?

I stayed in Loreto for a week of Scuba diving, but it was 30 years ago. Shoestring budget and I ate well with the locals. Spent a lot of time in a fast moving little panga catching and eating seafood with a divemaster/fisherman who spoke no English. He was by far the most skilled diver, fisherman, sea man and handyman I’ve ever met. We would motor for 3 hours (like 50 miles and 20+ miles off shore) with no compass, no GPS, nothing but distant peaks. He’d stop the boat and look down in to water (I couldn’t see anything), throw the anchor over, and after diving down the anchor line…there would be an old wreck…75 - 95 feet deep. At the end of the dive (he’d usually stay up top), he’d have me loosen the anchor. Once it got stuck again, so I watched him free drive to a 100 feet (mask and no fins), loosen the anchor, hunt for fish, spear a snapper for dinner and return to the surface after 4+ minutes.

Dinner at his humble house included some outstanding fish meals. Your trip is going to be VERY different.

RT

Yes but that sounds awesome. Though mostly golf we do have a snorkling trip planned and hope to sneak in a few hours of fishing in panga. Have been to La Paz MX so know the beauty I’m heading to. Thx for sharing

Just catching up on this. Had a blast. If you go there are really only two nice hotels unless you rent an air BnB. The first is the timeshare property over by Danzante Bay called Via del Palmar. Its about 25 minutes from Loreto proper and we didnt stay there as I like to be close to town to eat at local restaurants. The other is La Mision De Loreto which is where we stayed and a 4* by US standards. Great place right on the sea, with a nice restaurant and modern clean comfortable rooms. I would stay there just for the shower which was like a fire hose with an endless supply of nice hot water. I took at least 3 a day! Had some nice meals there as well as a few local places with a shout out to Mi Loreto for the mole. Also loved the way most places served a table side deconstructed tortilla soup which was spectacular each time. We also learned a new word. Descorches! Unfortunately we did not eat at a place with No Descorches! But every place was wine friendly and we usually paid $10 and were fine with that

It was very, clean and safe in town. No discos or sleaze to be seen and felt safe the whole time. Not really into fishing but took a panga out with a local right in front of the hotel and caught 8 fish in an hour so crossed that off the list. Brought one fish (a Sierra) back to the hotel that made us ceviche and fish tacos for about $10! We rented a car to drive to course each day and it was a nice easy safe drive.

The true star of this place for us was TPC Danzante Bay. The course is stunning and in great shape. It was reasonable and they treated us very well even delivering us fresh burritos on the back nine each day that we’d order at the turn. There are tees for every level and one day got to watch a low level touring pro play in the group ahead of us. Its not the easiest place to get to and I dont know if I will make it back but I hope to. Truly a very special place both the course and the town. And it is very very inexpensive for what it is. Here are some pictures including the final 3 holes. The signature 17th hole could be the most beautiful hole in MX. Sunrise picture is from the room. Pictures do none of this justice but click on them to get full size clear image
DZ boat.JPG
dz room.JPG
dz 12.JPG
dz 16.JPG
dz 17.JPG
dz 18.JPG

Lovely. It’s hard to grasp how expansive the panoramas are until you visit.

RT

So many places to lose your ball.

I picked up two dozen before I left but only brought a dozen. That was an error in judgement

BTW golf was $100 each day. For a course of this caliber aka TPC in this condition with these views it felt like stealing

Funny thing is from the Blues #16 is 300 yards uphill and plays like 450 yards. #18 is almost 450 yards downhill and plays like 300 yards. Both kinda gimmicky holes but that’s what it took them to get to the spot to build the epic #17 par 3