Reykjavik recommendations?

Saw the thread from 2017, so looking for more recent information. We’ll be there at the end of the month, on our way to London.

Went this August…

1. Snaps Bistro - it was so good we went back the next night again… relatively speaking my fav…
  2. Fiskfelagid - Fish Company. also really solid.
    Make reso at both places. it’s really hard to get in otherwise.

Dill is closed :frowning: bankrupt in August… bummer.

fwiw, Blue Lagoon was excellent… i know there are mixed opinions on it.

We were in Iceland for seven nights in September. We drove the southern and western parts of the Iceland. We didn’t have enough time to drive north and complete the ring road. We used Nordic Visitor to book the hotels and the rental car. They also developed an itinerary for us. They did a good job.

I strongly recommend driving around the island if you have time. Reykjavik is nice, but the natural beauty of Iceland is something else. There’s nowhere else like it that I have seen. If you get a rental car, be sure to get wifi so you will be able to use waze or other similar app. Alternatively, you can probably book a tour—but you must get out of town.

In town, be sure to visit the concert hall.

We liked the “FishMarket” more than the “Fish Company”. Be ready for the prices. Food is expensive, but wine is something else. At one restaurant, Cloudy Bay was $125 or more. There is a high tax on alcohol. While I don’t know about BYOB, you should consider buying a bottle or so at Duty Free.

Bring your rain gear, in addition to items to keep you warm!!

We went directly to the Blue Lagoon upon landing in Iceland. It was a great way to recover from the flight. Nordic Visitor booked a person to pick us up from the airport, drop us off at the Blue Lagoon, and take our luggage to our hotel. We took a bus to the hotel. Regardless, you should book the Blue Lagoon in advance.

Have fun—we did.

Go to Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur. Open most times of day. Legendary hot dog stand that has been open since 1937. Its a unique taste since they use local lamb. The hype is real.

I second buying some alcohol at Duty Free on your way in. If you go to a liquor store you will see the prices are comically high. Try your luck spinning the wheel at Bar Lebowski, my group won several rounds of 10x beers in exchange for small fees to spin the wheel. Excellent return on investment.

The last and only time we were there was exactly 2 years ago and we were a large group of 5 couples. We byo’d from our destinations (USA and Canada) after pre-reading about the very expensive wines in restaurants. Well worth any corkage that were charged if you want wines that you’d like and enjoy.

Today’s Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/iceland/reykjavik-iceland-local-guide/

We just got back from Iceland. Highly recommend Matur og Drykker, a modern take on traditional Icelandic cuisine, and Prir Frakker, for its more traditional take.

I knew nothing about Icelandic art, so the quality of the shows at the National Gallery of Iceland (especially the Johanna Kristin Yngvadottir retrospective) and the Reykjavik Art Museum, were eye opening. Also had no idea about Yoko Ono’s Imagine Peace Tower, which we first saw while looking at the Northern Lights. Made that show even better, if that is possible.

We saw lots of sheep and horses while driving and on the menus.