Reading, UK

Help! Tried the search function and “reading” comes up a lot, ironically a ton of times in my “Adventures in Paris” thread :slight_smile:

Will be in Reading, England and looking for dinner one night. Previous experiences have been mediocre, at best, so I’m throwing a Hail Mary here. Going into London is not an option and we’ll be hitting the Bull out in Sonning tonight, if only to take my wife to a pub built for hobbits in the 1600s and reminisce about which table George Clooney sat at before he sold his house. Have a team dinner tomorrow night at Côte Brasserie, in the event that helps.

Any ideas would be much appreciated on the off chance you have one.

Try the uk wine pages bb.

Dinner on Sunday at the Bull Inn was great, and would do again without blinking. Little bit of a drive to get out to Sonning, but definitely a lovely area.

In general, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how much things have changed here over the last five years. Will post re: dinner the next couple of nights in the event somebody finds it useful in the future.

Wrap-up: Nice, walkable town and the Reading Abbey ruins we’re pretty cool. Single best thing we did was jump on a train to Bath. 47 pounds round trip if purchased after 10:30. Bath was spectacular, with the baths themselves, the Abbey and Pulteney Bridge (Chenonceau on a Budget). being the highlights. Throw in a bottle of Cantillon plonk that I picked up for Tallman and Mark Ye and it was a nice visit.

If you’re headed into London for the day, pick up a round trip rail/bus/tube pass for 55. Wife did it and had a blast of a day while I was in meetings :/. Other note - food row behind the Oracle is tolerable, with Cote Brasserie carrying good food and a 17 Boillot Gevrey Chambertin at ~49 quid.
663153F6-7A6B-4EB5-842A-04AFB3CEE0B7.jpeg
91C0CFAD-7116-4CED-870A-D7A89A48AC1B.jpeg
CA80A267-E64A-4CC3-BA98-9C8A9BAA2727.jpeg

I’m surprised there’s anywhere decent to eat in Reading!