Need Atlanta restaurant rec under specific circumstances...

Hi all -

I am planning to go to Atlanta and check out the Cirque du Soleil show downtown on January 4th to be followed by dinner. I will have a car and will be staying likely at the St. Regis hotel.

Last year I did something similar and went to Atlas restaurant which was absolutely off the chain in terms of quality of food, service, and wine. They are using Coravin there to serve old bottles by the glass, have Yquem by the glass, can do a flight of Remy offerings up to Louis XIII etc. It was a 3 hour experience, 9 course Prix Fixe with wine pairings a price point of my choosing, curated by the sommelier there.

I contacted Atlas to do something similar this year but was told that they are actually holding the entire restaurant for a private event on that night, so I am basically out of luck in terms of booking there, it seems. Because of the Cirque show (tickets already in hand) my dates are not flexible.

I am looking for a restaurant in Atlanta that might offer something similar within reasonable distance of Buckhead. Ideally a place that would pair top flight wines with fine dining for a 9ish course meal. Imagine that price is not an object… any recs are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

This is slightly dated, but may help. Welcome to the board Ross Michels. Atlanta restaurants - Travel, Wine Tourism, and Restaurants Forum - WineBerserkers

Ross, I know that is probably isn’t the place you want. Chama Gaúcha Brazilian Steakhouse is in Buckhead and has a glass enclosed wine cellar in the middle of the restaurant that didn’t seem to shabby. There is also a high end french place in Buckhead and some good restaurants (South City kitchen, etc.). Also in downtown, at the four seasons, the restaurant and bar there seems pretty good. Good luck.

Given your highly specific ask, I would inquire with Aria (1/2 mile away from St. Regis), to see if they would accommodate you. I suspect they would. Have fun.

Here are five I would highly recommend:

Lazy Betty (Decatur) - Probably the furthest away but just won a restaurant of the year award from a few different places here in Atlanta. 7 and 10 course options.
Bacchanalia (West Midtown) - Always listed as one of the top restaurants in Atlanta. 4 course option.
Marcel (West Midtown) - One of the top French wines lists in Atlanta. French style steakhouse. Expensive.
Staplehouse (Near Inman Park) - Named the top restaurant in the US a few years back. 10 and 12 course options.

If you are open to an eclectic option…I would try our favorite place: Gunshow (Near the Atlanta Zoo) - Farm to table meets Dim Sum.

I took clients there last January. For the equivalent of about $60, it was more like a tasting menu. Exceptional. Slightly south of downtown.

Aria or dining at The Chefs Table at the Four Seasons are probably your best bet. If your paring wines and drinking Uber is plentiful in Buckhead. Bacchinalia in Midtown could also be a good option.

Your biggest challenge is going to be on the wine side if you are looking for extremely high end wines with some age. Most of the Atlanta restaurants that are best suited to deliver the food experience you are looking for (Lazy Betty and Staplehouse come to mind immediately and Spring may be able to do it) have good but younger and eclectic wine lists. Aria would be my first option for what you are looking for, but maybe check with Miller Union, Canoe, and Rathbun’s as well.

Just wanted to thank those that recommended Aria in this and some threads in Epicurean Exploits. We were in Atlanta last weekend for a wedding, wanted an early dinner before going to a welcome party at Yebo Beach Club at 8 (plenty of food there, but wife didn’t want to be flagging waiters to get a meal). We went to Aria and had a delicious meal, nice atmosphere, good service. I looked with jealousy at a table BYOing with some Leflaive Puligny, but I hadn’t lugged wine from NY and actually a half bottle of Do Ferreiro Albarino was perfect for our meal.

Glad to hear Aria is still doing great. My brother just posted on IG about Lyla Lila.

It looks terrific and we’ll be trying on our next vist.