South Australia recommendations

My wife and I will be in Australia for three weeks in March. Sadly the Southern Ocean Lodge has burned down (as has a lot of Kangaroo Island apparently) so the two days there need to be replaced. Instead of staying in Adelaide and having one day in the Barossa and a half day in McLaren Vale as planned originally, it now looks like we’ll have two days in the Barossa and a full day in McLaren Vale (and an extra day in Tasmania).

Any recommendations for a place to stay in the Barossa? The tour company is recommending the Louise. We’d also appreciate any restaurant recommendations. We have a couple of places we’d like to visit and I’ve read other threads with recommendations but any winery suggestions would also be appreciated.

Our hearts go out to those affected by the fires. We’ve made donations to the Australian Red Cross and WIRES.

We loved the Kingsford Homestead. The owners found out we loved wine and they invited a local vintner to have dinner with us in the private cellar. It was the highlight of our tasting in The Barossa.

Jeff,

Both Kingsford and The Louise are excellent options, although The Louise is a bit closer to all the action. They have also just revamped their restaurant and opened a good bar.

The Eatery, just down the road from The Louise is a must for lunch. Vintners, fermentAsian and Fino are excellent. Hentley Farm is a good lunch experience but you’ll need all afternoon.

So many great winery options but look at somewhere where you wont see the wines at home. Sami-Odi, Ruggabellus and Standish are appointment only but producing superb wines. Tscharke, across the road from The Louise, make ridiculously good value wines. Tomfoolery are doing good things as are Turkey Flat and Bethany. The new Elderton cellar door is classy. For ‘old school’ Barossa, Langmeil, Heritage and Rolf Binder are making rich and powerful wines.

Have a good time.

Regards
Jeremy

Also near The Louise are David Franz Wines (Dave Lehmann) and Hayes Family Wines. Both well worth a visit.

Thanks for the recommendations. We’re reserved at the Louise, which seemed the better choice for our purposes.

Jeremy, thanks for the recommendation to try places that don’t distribute in the US. That’s a really good idea. I had been aiming for wineries with which I’m familiar, but am now changing my focus.

Rockford Wines is a great stop in the Barossa, and they haven’t been imported in the US for many years, I believe. I don’t think you can get their Basket Press Shiraz at the cellar door any more [cry.gif]

I think they release some of it in Feb/Mar for people visiting the CD. Not sure how long it lasts as a rule though. It wouldn’t hurt to send them an Email saying you are from the US and visiting in March and if there is anyway to try/buy it. They might very well put some aside for you.

Re Sami Odi, email Fraser and see if you can get an appt. The 2019 offer just came in this week, so you probably won’t actually be able to buy anything by the time you get there I would daresay. But have a chat and see if anything can be organised (if you are looking at taking anything back to the US).

Check out this post, some fantastic information and tips.
https://www.cellartracker.com/event.asp?iEvent=42096

Adelaide Hills has been hit badly by the bushfires, so visits to any remaining cellar doors etc, would no doubt be welcomed. Although it would be something you’d visit on the way to the Barossa - leave Adelaide, drive East to Adelaide Hills then North to the Barossa.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/adelaide-hills-communities-rally-to-rebuild-as-scale-of-destruction-from-cudlee-creek-fire-is-revealed/news-story/a43aad3dd1d97f4ea18906d0b2efa511

Also bear in mind MV is south of Adelaide and the Barossa is North. So you will lose a bit of time travelling to each one.

There’ll be some available at the cellar door for a few weeks after release - before it sells out. Release is usually early March so timing might be ideal. Typically limited to 3 bottles per order.
Though last time I was there at the right time they happily processed one order or me and one for my wife. Same for their ‘Black’ if you’re into sparkling shiraz at all
While you’re there - I’d suggest dropping into Charles Melton as well - just down the road from Rockford. Some lovely wines and tasting done around a table often with Charles or his wife Virginia

Tscharke is up in Marananga and make some nice wines at very reasonable prices. Not far from Torbreck if you’re also planning on visiting there.
Kellermeister are well worth a visit - for wines, the view and the fact they’ll ship mixed cases including wines purchased from other wineries, providing you’re purchasing some from them as well

Jeff, we have just returned from the Barossa Valley and had an amazing time. We got a Airbnb and stayed just off the Main Street in Tanundra. Here is a link to our our recommendation for cellar door visits and preferred dining options.

Hope it helps

:wine_glass:Cheers​:wine_glass:

John

Thanks, John. Nice write up and useful information.