Caribbean recommendations?

So kids will be at camp again this year and looking for place to go within Marriott Bonvoy family for a week in summer with just my wife. Last three years have been Grenada (La Luna) Grand Cayman (Ritz) and Aruba (Ritz). So looking for some place new? Any thoughts or great experiences you all have had? Thanks in advance.

Brad

Absolutely loved Bequia. Yes it’s in the Grenadines but the ability to. Island hop to St Vincent, Mustique, the Tobago keys etc, . Feel like what the Caribbean was like 30 years ago - Here’s one of the more quirky place to rent .WE rented a house at the top fo the hill made out of stone with 360 views of the ocean right above moonhole -https://www.moonholecompany.com/

bonvoy in the grenadines? didn’t know that.

how about dorado beach in puerto rico? it’s an rc reserve property and supposed to be magnificent.

Look at the Westin St John. Just redone after the hurricane has nice villa rentals. I have not been to St J since the hurricane but I love the island. The beaches, the snorkeling are just fantastic. Restaurants are just OK but if you like outdoor stuff it is perfect. There is also a RC on St Thomas which is very nice I am just not a fan of St Thomas. We usually fly in spend a night at the RC then take the ferry over to St John.

George.

Thanks all.
Bequia looks good but not Bonvoy and as this is a no kids trip , we want to accumulate or use points.

Mark, funny you ,emotion Dorado. I actually have a hold at RC Dorado Beach but it is pricey and you can’t use or earn Bonvoy points.

St Johns looks nice. Only thing available is 2 bedroom which is overkill. So I have to keep checking that. ST Thomas was original choice but I heard it’s not back and the Ritz basically lost the beach. Good to know I wasn’t crazy with my initial choices as you guys nailed my thinking.

George, have you stated at that Westin? Looks to be more a time share place. And one we definitely want to do with the kids. Is it on beach? Does it feel more hotel or more the typical timeshare? Apologies if I offend, but usually am nervous of those time share places.

A buddy had a situation similar to yours and was pleasantly surprised by the Westin Puntacana.

Brad - Only visited the Westin on previous trips. This was pre Hurricane. The beach was OK it is Cruz bay so pretty busy with boats. Never stayed. St John is the place to rent a villa and we were always traveling with kids so it made most sense. If you like beaches… that is the beauty of St John. So many different ones to explore. It is not an island IMO where you just want to sit at a resort and hang out.

SO many other options if you went outside of Marriott. Don’t know your budget but Rosewood just reopened Little Dix bay on Virgin Gorda. Luxury British Virgin Island Resort | Rosewood Little Dix Bay

There is a nice Marriott in Costa Rica, not on the beach but have visited when we stayed at 4S and it is very nice, although large.
There is also the St Regis in Punta Mita
If you like to dive there is a Courtyard by Marriott on Bonaire. It’s actually pretty nice for a Courtyard. [snort.gif] Bonaire is one of my favorites but we are big divers.
Hawaii is an option but a long drive. [wink.gif]

George

Is Scrub Island part of this rewards program?

Thanks all. Lot of good options.

That Rosewood property looks insane.

Bonaire is A trip trip next year as part of an island hopping vacation. Hear it’s a very nice and quiet island with great diving.

Scrub Island is on there. Looks secluded and nice as well.

Never considered DR but I will research it. Probably with the news I dismissed it which might be a mistake.

Highly recommend St Regis Punta Mita for just couples. Food is excellent and affordable; property has multiple near or ocean facing rooms; excellent staff and the property is in a compound of like accommodations. There is a ton to due on and off property. I know it’s not the Caribbean, but a great option.

The St Regis Puerto Rico in the rainforest was excellent but not sure the impact of the hurricanes.

In regards to Scrub Island. I have never stayed there but spent a bit of time there on a dive trip out of Virgin Gorda. Dove with some folks who were not overly complementary. Not a lot to do, small rooms, only OK food. Granted this is just 1 couples opinion. It has 1000+ reviews on Trip Advisor I walked around the marina a bit it seemed a little dumpy to me. Again, this was pre-hurricane not sure what it is like now. YMMV.

George

Just left the JW Guanacaste in Costa Rica and enjoyed it quite a bit. Most definitely right on the beach.

Lovely walkable beach but most is too rocky for swimming except for a smallish area to the tight.

Lots of families ,great pool but I wouldn’t choose to go in rainy season (ie our summer). Prior to last years point increase, a great deal. Stil pretty good.

Bonaire diving is off the charts good. Except for Little Cayman, the best I’ve experienced in the Carribean. Cozumel is also great but diving there is drift diving, so better for intermediate divers than beginners.

Is the beach at St Regis Punta Mita swimmable?

Private beach that is swimmable. It’s not the gorgeous waters of Tahiti or similar Caribbean waters but that never took anything away from the overall experience.

I accumulated a lot of Marriott points through work and so was in the same boat We’ve done Aruba and cayman multiple times. Have not tried Grenada. We also went to st barts and didn’t love the Marriott but loved the island. If you ever have Hyatt points go there… it’s amazing. This year to mix it up we are going to Hawaii in points. Let us know what you decide

I’ve been to a bunch of Marriott properties in the Caribbean and I guarantee there is no Marriott property on St. Barts. There is also no Hyatt - there are very few Hyatt properties in the Caribbean (a few came and went pretty quickly).

Are you thinking of St. Kitts? If so, I agree the Marriott there is nothing special. The Hyatt is relatively new and I haven’t been there so I can’t comment.

Sorry I meant St Kitts! oops thanks for the correction. The Hyatt was new when we stayed there two years ago and we loved it.

Ritz Carlton St Thomas just finished a multi-year rebuild. It might be worth a look.

George

Brad, I recently stayed at the newly rebuilt Ritz on St. Thomas and I highly would recommend it. St Thomas is a really cool island with great local food, beautiful sights, and St John is a short ferry ride away, as are the BVI. I would love to give specific recs if you decide to go that route. St. John is a beautiful island as well but there is less to do.

There are various Marriott properties on Turks and Caicos including a Ritz. The island has amazing beach, water, locals are friendly and awesome barrier reef for snorkeling