Paris Restaurants wine list - Any Advice Please!?

Hi All,

I’m a newbie to the site/ first time poster, newhere .

My wife and I are are currently on a wine learning curve and for the last 18 months, we’ve been focusing exclusively (more or less) on Burgundy. Great for the bank balance! We’re off to Paris in 2 weeks, we were there in October and visited La Tour D’Argent which I’m sure needs zero introduction here! We went because of the legendary wine list and because we’d heard it was packed full of good deals - which it was.

One of the the whites we had was a Coche Dury 2009 les Rougeots Meursault which was absolutely sublime and it was 490 euros. Granted thats not cheap for wine, but for Coche Dury I couldn’t believe the price in a Michelin starred restaurant in Paris. I can barely find a bottle at retail in the UK and any that I can are nearly 700 sterling. As well as this, the cheapest price I can find the 2009 Les Rougeots CD on lists in Paris that I can see online in is in les climats and it’s 1085 euros which is more than double the price for the same bottle in Le Tour D’Argent - wild!

The question I have is, are there any other restaurants in Paris that have a democratic / fairly priced wine list which is similar to LTD? Or that has some specific wines / top producers at good value? Or is LTD ‘the one’ if you want to drink some of the great producers and not have to remortgage the house?

We’ve got a shortlist of restaurants we want to go to, but if anyone could possibly help us or point us in the right direction if indeed there are other places to go to, it would be very much appreciated and would really help us as we plan our trip.

Thanks in advance for any help! [cheers.gif] !

Kevin

Here’s is some reasonable Googling for seeing what might suit your fancy…

114 Faubourg at Le Bristol

La Cagouille

Passage 53

All known for reasonable wine pricing.

are there any other restaurants in Paris that have a democratic / fairly priced wine list

Billionaires.

Helicopters.

Les 110 de Taillevent might be of interest to you. It’s an offshoot of the Michelin starred restaurant that has 110 wines by the glass to choose from to go with a relatively reasonable prix-fixe lunch or dinner. They list the wines they are pouring on their site, so you can see what you think for yourself.

Should be able to view it here: https://www.les-110-taillevent-paris.com/en/menu/9/set-menu-46-8364

Passage 53 has undergone a transformation to a bistro and is now La Table du 53. Food is (still) great, but the wine list is more modest thank it was.

Passage 53 is in hiatus and may reopen in an other location.

fascinating update, thanks.

Dang!

Thank you for updating that.

In case I wasn’t clear, La Table du 53 is of the same ‘family’ as Passage 53. Same ownership. Chef was the second sous chef at Passage 53 (the first left to open/partner/cook at Mr. T), also of the same ‘family.’

thanks so much for all the feedback - much appreciated!

a few of these 110 and la cagouille were already on my list [thankyou.gif]

les climats has the largest burgundy wine list ive ever seen. 1 michelin star near musee d’orsay. its a required stop for my wife and i every time we’re in paris. we prefer lunch…particularly in their back atrium. food is excellent but im really there for the complete experience…and the wine.

download their burgundy wine list…all 300 pages of it.

1 Like

If you love Burgundy, go to Burgundy and Chablis. Eat at Ma Cuisine, at Maison Colombier, at Relais du Saulx, etc., in Burgundy and/or Au Fil du Zinc and Hostellerie des Clos in Chablis.

thanks again!

if was going to scale the heights for white burgundy and get Coche or Lafon - what years / particular vineyards would be drinking perfectly now? I know that coche age better longer / take longer to show at their best than Lafon…

A good recommendation, yet I had a meal at 110 marred by the house serving nasty Parisian tap water out of a bottle curiously open when it arrived at the table. It was our first night in town, so we weren’t sure at first, but when we returned to our hotel confirmed, damn, those &*%$ served us a $8 bottle of tap water. The food and wine options were excellent but not the super duper world class experience the OP appears to be craving.

Les Ambassedes de Bourgogne was an excellent bottle shop with tastings, as recommended by some Berserker circa 2016.

I’ll echo the previous advice to get out of Paris if seeking high-end QPR. I don’t play in Lafon like prices, but if I could, I’d trade that name for older vintages of less famous but still classic producers, and try to learn my preferences among the various terroir. Have fun!

La Cagouille for Raveneau. The pricing is smart. The seafood is excellent.

passage 53 had one of the most expensive wine lists i have seen in paris, even 5 years ago when everything was still pretty reasonable. to be honest pricing in paris is pretty lame these days. i remember even a year ago i was in little a cave a manger and they had some bernaudeau nourrissons on the shelf without a price and the guy said it was 100 euros “because that’s what they go for online.” i eventually found the same bottle for 36 euro down the street. le cinq used to have a bunch of back vintage rougeard for very reasonable pricing, i think i paid about 80 euro for some breze but i am sure it is all gone now or what is left has swiftly increased in price. pierre gagnaire always had some good deals on the list as well. i remember drinking the 07 coche rougeots there for 150. same with l’astrance. but again pricing has changed dramatically in the past few years and even in most wine shops they are asking top market price for the sought after bottles. and for around 500 euros i would expect to be drinking corton charlemagne from coche not rougeots, so it is all relative but just because it appears cheaper than what is available on wine-searcher does not mean it is indeed a good deal.

That is quite a nice list and fabulously laid out. https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5231fcd8e4b063fed6fd4fa8/t/5dee7cbbc2fab6555b3bb544/1575910637796/Livres+des+Vins+correction+du+09-12-2019.pdf

While there are plenty of higher end exciting wines priced well, I tend to just go for the Ravenneau, as some great wines can be had for under 200 euros. In fact, there have Raveneau Valmur 2015/2016 for 152/145 euros.

I went to La Cagouille once, but made a mistake in ordering the one fish I don’t like (merluz) and so I don’t have fond memories. It was a pain to get to. But if the Raveneau is well priced, I’ll make the journey. Can it beat Les Climate prices?

Le Dome used to regularly get Ravenneau, and some Oysters, Dover Sole and Raveneau and I was in heaven. However, the last time I was there, they no longer had it, so I stopped going (although the Dover Sole was still heavenly).

So who has the BEST prices on Ravenneau in Pari?

We were in Paris last September. I wrote up the experience as a CellarTracker story. We ate at several excellent restaurants, including a Michelin 3-star. Our favorites were a bit more off the beaten path. All of the wines chosen from the restaurants’ lists were reasonably priced (excluding Arpège).

Cheers,

Colin [cheers.gif]

Visiting London, Galway, Dublin and Paris

Not Burgundy-centric, but robust on all-around-the-regions, is Vantre. Lower profile and less stuffy than most of the names mentioned so far, but an excellent wine-centric bistro in the 11th.

The food is very good, too.

L’Auberge Bressane is a quality old-school brasserie with a high-end wine list focused on Burgundy, and mercifully not on the tourist track.

If you want a great Burgundy list another vote for Les Climats

1 Like