Lisbon & Porto - Portugal

After reviewing a bunch of somewhat older threads here I figured I’d seek some updated info.

Four couples, each with a 16 yr old daughter (twelve total) are travelling to Portugal in March.

I’m specifically hoping to get some guidance on the best neighborhoods and hotels (or VRBO/Air bnb) in Lisbon and Porto for such a crew. Very fun-loving crowd but not wine-centric by any means.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Yeatman in Porto. Great hotel with fantastic views of a stunning city.

In Porto, I’ve generally wanted to be close to the river so I have rented an apartment in Ribeira a couple of times. There are a few hotels in the area too, a couple of which I have stayed in. It is a little bit of a walk up a hill if you are planning to spend time in the the city center though. I think I booked the apartments through apartmentsapart.com. It was a few years ago and airbnb didn’t have much of a foothold in Europe at that stage
The Yeatman is indeed a lovely hotel with fantastic views, It is also one of the really high end hotels the area.

In Lisbon, I’ve booked a fairly central apartment somewhere near the Mercado da Ribeira which wasn’t a bad spot and fairly easy for public transport. I’ve also stayed at Hotel Avenida Palace, which was pretty nice and well located, especially if you are planning on taking the train out to Sintra. Again, it is a few years ago, but I certainly didn’t pay the rates that I am seeing now for that one.

I concur on the Yeatman.

Pedro Lamos is a * that is very good.
O Gaveto is very good as well and much more casual.
DOP is recommended as well.

thanks to all for these suggestions. will take a close look at them.

I’ve also stayed at Hotel Avenida Palace, which was pretty nice and well located, especially if you are planning on taking the train out to Sintra. Again, it is a few years ago, but I certainly didn’t pay the rates that I am seeing now for that one.
[/quote]

Stayed there, too. No complaints. Big, very big, breakfast.

My wife and I stayed there for a week last spring (March 2019). Very pleased with our stay. Comfortable room. Great breakfast. Excellent location.

In Porto we stayed right down by the river and historic district at the Pestana. Hard to beat for walking to all the port houses, restaurants and other attractions.

In Porto, you are crazy to not stay at the Yeatman, especially if there is interest in Wine/port amongst the family. Seriously my favorite hotel ever.

Also worth noting in porto for dinner is Tapabento - def my fav restaurant I went to in town.

Finally - I think you have to take the train to the douro. It is super easy to get from Porto to Pinhao and the train ride is stunning and an attraction in itself. One night there is something you wont regret and you’ll likely wish you stayed another. We stayed at quinta de la rosa - and it was fantastic.

In Lisbon, I think there are a lot of great areas to stay. We stayed at the Internaticional Design Hotel in the center of town. Made going everywhere easy.

excellent! I really appreciate these thoughts.