Salt Lake City

Any new/old restaurants to recommend near downtown SLC?

My fave:

Been their 10x times. I must for me every time I come through SLC for business.

The only place I remember eating in SLC was Valter’s Osteria. Someone I was with (group of guys on ski trip) knew him and he is for sure a character. Some of the group really loved the place, one or two (including me) thought it was just OK.

For what it is worth, I am going back in a week because two of the guys I am skiing with are psyched to return.

Pallet has been my favorite the last couple of years.

Eva, Pallet, are both great, and Whiskey Street for beer selection

You wouldn’t think of SLC as a sushi destination, but Takashi is excellent.

Takashi. Yes! +many
Quite good.
Ogden, Utah also has good sushi (Tona Sushi Bar & Grill). Who would have thought? I guess planes come in and out of SLC with frequency.

Although I haven’t been, family tells me Valters Osteria is quite good.

Ate at Current Fish & Oyster house last time I was in SLC in September. Good seafood and nice restaurant with good service but the food does not quite hit the “outstanding” level.

There is a State run wine store (ABC Store #35) at 255 South 300 East, Salt Lake City, UT 84111 (close to Temple Square) that has a surprising good selection and prices are fair.

While on the topic of SLC - they have quite a few breweries worth visiting and many have food trucks parked outside.

Not fine dining but quintessential choice near the airport. Both locations…

They are famous for their moles. They do over 30. 5 or 6 are on the menu on any given day. Ask for a sampler and the staff will bring you a plate to try out the offerings that day.

Sean

I would recommend the Copper Onion. I’ve been there half a dozen times, excellent.
Also very high on Provisions which not in downtown but not far.

Just back from Salt Lake and I will echo the recommendation for The Copper Onion. Very good food and service. Menu is quite eclectic but without being pretentious.

I will also echo my own recommendation for Takashi. Good sushi and some wonderful cooked dishes too.

And in case anyone is looking for $3 shots of tequila and $3 Dressed Cans of Tecate, try Bodega (331 Main Street). Just don’t ask me how I know.

Just returned also and a shout out to Pallet and HSL. Great food and reasonable corkage. HSL is quite loud however.

Flying in tmrw and just booked HSL. Never tried it before.

Glad to hear Copper Onion is working. They were great for many years and maybe had some issues after they expanded.

Forgot to mention - I also like Manoli’s.

Replying in the event that someone searches this thread later: The Rest (a speakeasy below the Bodega) is excellent. Reservations recommended, though you may be able to get seated at the bar in between. By far some of my favorite food in downtown. They’re opening again for service October 8th.

Current I enjoy for the availability and quite broad list of special order white wine and sherry.

Provisions has excellent service and small plates, as does Manoli’s. I can also recommend Pago and second the above recommendations for Copper Onion.

Spencer’s, Sonoma Grill (randomly got a good half-bottle here, food average to good), Aristo’s and Mazza have also been enjoyable. Bambara if you’re at the associated hotel. If you’re more of a Beer-serker: The Bayou! Delicious and very chill. As is Proper Burger (associated with Proper Brewing).

While I have not been to HSL myself, I’m also interested in trying out Oquirrh in the near future. Exploration has been somewhat curtailed and I’ve stuck close to home.

Thanks for the recommendations. I plan to visit this city on my next vacation. If the winter is good, we will go skiing. And don’t forget about good food. Everyone loves to eat.