Needing Family Friendly Recs for Washington DC

Heading to DC with the family to see the sites and a couple college visits. Welcome suggestions for reasonable spots around town for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Not looking for wine related…just good local spots as we will be eating out for several days.

TIA

It isn’t a restaurant but if your family hasn’t visited the International Spy Museum, I highly recommend it. https://www.spymuseum.org/

I’m not a local but I do go to DC with some regularity and I used to live there. So here are some off-the-top-of-my-head thoughts given your criteria. But these are outdated recommendations; locals would know best.

The main Jose Andres places – Jaleo and Zaytinya – are central and fun and festive enough that they’d work great for families. Same with Central, where I had an enjoyable meal earlier this week. I love Rasika for Indian if that’s something you’d be in to. Old Ebbitt is super central – across from the Treasury and WH – and is somewhat of an institution. The food isn’t that great but it’s a fun place for oysters and the interior is cool.

What colleges will you be visiting? If you’re headed to Georgetown, you should go to the Tombs…

A start. One place downtown we love that might not be mentioned in these threads is Unconventional Diner. Corkage friendly, fantastic food, very casual, basically affixed to the convention center in downtown.

Oh, and if you are going to be touring Georgetown, Billy Sud is a really lovely spot just south of M Street.

I still think Rasika (esp the one in Penn Quarter) is among the best bang-for-the-buck restaurants in the US (only if you like Indian, obviously)

Let us know precisely where you will be and we can guide you further.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=132305&p=2100670&hilit=capital#p2100670

Thanks everyone…responses below:

@Michael - the spy museum is on our to-do list.

@Ryan - Zaytinya and Rasika were both recommended by a local friend who attended Georgetown. Kids won’t go for Indian, but hoping we make it to Zaytinya.

@Chris - We are visiting Georgetown and American…GW is not offering tours while we are in town unfortunately.

@Neal - Thank you for the suggestions and links…much appreciated. We are staying in Dupont Circle, but realistically will be going from attraction to attraction, seeing the colleges, and also toying around with a Capitals game as we are big hockey fans. Is that a fun experience? Good part of town? Get there early and walk around?

Cheers,
Adam

All the restaurant recommendations are great. José’s places are all perfect for a family. Except of course Minibar and Barmini.

If you are doing museums on the mall the cafe in the National Museum of the American Indian is a good place.

George

Wear red! Yes, a Caps game is a great experience but tix are expensive and generally available only on the secondary market. The area around the arena is great for walking around, just north of the Mall. The Portrait Gallery and National Museum of American Art are directly across the street. LOTS of bars and restaurants in walking distance. Oyamel (high style Mexican – Jose Andres), Hill Country (BBQ), Zaytinya (med/Greek – also Andres) and Rasika (if you can get reservations).

In Dupont, Pizzeria Paradiso is a classic. Also Bistro du Coin is an old DC staple. Both strike me as family friendly.

+1 on Unconventional Diner. Across the street the best value in the city is the Corduroy bar menu.

Open City is where I meet people for breakfast.

All of the restaurants in the Line hotel are fun.

We go to Bistro du Coin whenever in DC religiously. Very close to Du Pont circle. Food is very good, menu is broad enough for my notoriously picky daughter to find several things she likes. Wine list is good but not not great but is incredibly reasonably priced. Call ahead to reserve a table.

We also go to Aqua al Due by Eastern Market every time. Food is excellent and there are some very good wine selections. A little bit of pretence but not too fancy and totally comfortable taking the family there. Reservations highly recommended.

2 Amys pizza is amazing. You will want to go back.

LOVE 2 Amys but it is a hike from downtown/tourist area. Unless you are going to visit the cathedral.

Ben’s Chili Bowl (the original). If you, or your kids, want a real DC place. Half-smoke all the way.

Not asked, but gotta say it. If you haven’t been to DC before, I think rule #1 is don’t drive. In the city its far more efficient to get around using a combination of the Metro (DC’s subway), Uber (or Lyft if you prefer) and hoofing it.

Great walking city too. UD is a great place. I’m going for 1-2 meals at Poca Madre next trip in.

Parking is definitely an issue, and L’Enfant did not plan for cars, so there are a number of circles and diagonals that bewilder natives. Unfortunately outside the downtown area, Metro’s coverage is poor and service has been in decline for a while. Clean and generally very safe but not the most reliab;e. Uber can fill in gaps of course

Since you’re staying in dupont, you should really try to make it to LITTLE SEROW if you get a chance! You have to stand in line at about 4pm but it’s is one table I will gladly wait for.

Also I am in Cleveland Park and when have several solid and reasonably affordable spots (Siam House, Dolan, Coppis, Tinos, Byblos).

Guys…Thank you for all the recs. Just hoping for temperate weather. And no plans to drive. Will Uber and possibly metro, but planning our days in clusters to allow some walking…will help out with all the food!

I liked Little Serow more than Minibar the trip I went to both hotspots.

Yeah, I do too. And it’s cheap! But note that they serve you what they are making; no subs and no special requests. You eat the menu or don’t eat. And you gotta like some heat. This week’s menu to give you an idea: https://www.littleserow.com/menu.html

I’m in again in a month counselor, I’ll buy man.