Miami Beach Dining

I’ll be hosting a dinner for about 10 visitors to Miami in late March. Is there a restaurant on South Beach, or perhaps across the causeway close to the Hyatt Regency that could host 10 and has a decent corkage policy? A place that is less than raucous would be great. Ce.viche in South Beach has been recommended. Other thoughts? Thanks!

1 Like

Upland has a very generous policy in NYC, maybe similar in Miami?

Prime 112 Private Room would be my choice.

Finally taking a trip. A week in Miami. Wife and I are vaccinated. Staying at Fountainbleau. Will probably do Hakesan. Any other restaurants worth checking out in the area. Will have a car. Prefer corkage and outdoor seating. Thanks.

Leku
Carbone
Barcelonetta
Boia De
Mandolin Aegean Bistro
Jaguar Sun at lot 6

2 Likes

macchialina on miami beach

1 Like

great call - missed that one.

btw, oddly (perhaps to me from NYC), every restaurant seems to be cool with corkage there. every time i call, the person answering knows what i’m asking and quotes the price with terms. wine lists are getting better too, slowly.

1 Like

Miami’s wine scene is on the up and up.

1 Like

Bookmark for future reference

1 Like

Our meal at Carbone was a little underwhelming. For Italian I much prefer Macchialina.

Novikov and Uchi are both great places for Happy Hour, and an easy ride from the Beach

We also recently did the $60 tasting at Cote and it was fantastic.

If you decide on Barceloneta, there is no need to do a full meal there since it is Tapas style. Sunset Harbour is also home to Naiyara, Lucali, and Sardinia. We usually hit apps at the bar at one or two of those places and then finish up with a meal at a third.

We also routinely enjoy Phuc Yeah, and 27.

Miami has great dining in every area of the city. The wine scene is improving but pricey at the top restaurants. Most places do offer corkage of some type, though.

high-quality feedback/list! curious if you’ve been to Leku? I found it rather special given the food, environment, service, etc. Gorgeous spot.

I have not been to Leku. I have heard great things and wanted to go, but it is just in a part of town that other than the museum there isnt anything else around there. I will try and check it out next week, and let you know what I think.

Amara at Paraiso would also be a great place to go if you want outdoor dining. They run various specials throughout the week, like 50% off bottles or free corkage so you can definitely check what they are offering while you are in town.

Cheers

went not long after they opened and michael schwartz personally took care of us and it was beyond awful in every regard. i was shocked and have to assume it’s better now. i only remember it so well because we had what remains to this day the single worst/funniest service error i’ve experienced; there was some app with a humus/puree type thing that had seized up to the texture of frozen peanut butter. i pointed it out to the server and she said something like “wow, yeah, it’s not supposed to be like that”… and then left. i’m still laughing.

I fine the Miami dining scene to be relatively uninspiring. The wine scene is abysmal. Stubborn Seed is very good. Rooster Overtown is great. Robuchon is very good but expensive. Wine lists everywhere are tough.

1 Like

Second “Stubborn Seed”–just wish they had private dinining there as they like to blast the stereo with rock music most of the time and the weekend crowd can get raucous. I also like “The Bazaar” (Jose Andres) for tapas in a more elegant setting. If you want quiet, private, limited seating (7 is the max) omakase try Naoe. They might make a special arrangement to accomodate 10. But it is not on South Beach but a smaller residential island about 20 Minutes away.

Strong 2nd on Macchialina

We’ve had several great dinners there both ala carte and family style with a larger group.

A note to Miami diners - the Omakase scene seems to have taken a significant leap forward recently. Hiyakawa in Wynwood is top notch and well worth the price. For a more budget friendly option, Mr. Omakase downtown is very good. I haven’t been to Hiden yet, but I’m excited to try it soon. Feels like the long-awaited arrival of lots of great sushi options.
Alex

couple of options that have tickled my fancy:

• Boia De (dinner, good wine list, corkage friendly)
  • Mandolin (dinner, atmosphere, corkage friendly)
  • Lucali (pizza)
  • Alter (closed, hope it comes back)
  • True Loaf (bread!)
  • HeartLand (more about the vibe than the food)
  • Thatch (hipster / veggie friendly brunch)
  • Cote (‘Elevated’ Korean BBQ)
  • La Trova (Cuban Music, Cocktails)
  • Lung Yai (only serviceable Thai I’ve been able to find)
  • Motek (takeout Middle Eastern / Israeli food)
  • Pura Vida (healthy bowls, casual)
  • Blue Collar (hipster / elevated / diner food)
  • Tigertail + Mary (Upland-esque)
  • Coyo Taco (great burritos)
  • Koa Poke (good but expensive poke handrolls)
  • Venchi (good gelato)
  • Panther Coffee (only game in town?)

Any fun recs further north (staying in Sunny Isles)? Outdoors only and we’ll have kids so nothing too fancy. Already have reservations at the two restaurants at the Aqualina.
Thanks!

What’s good in South Beach these days. We’ll be there early December.