Coronavirus and Summer Travel

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics, including restaurants
Dennis Atick

Coronavirus and Summer Travel

#1 Post by Dennis Atick » February 28th, 2020, 4:10 am

I posted this in one of the Coronavirus threads, but figured I might get better discussion here as it relates to travel. I have never been an alarmist about these types of things, but I am taking pause as concern mounts about Covid.
I can't be the only one worrying about travel plans.

Informal poll:
If you were ready to book a family trip to Spain this summer- itinerary all set, on verge of booking for the last month -would you book?
I'm not a paranoiac, not worried specifically that we all going to get sick, but I am concerned about overall international disruption.
Just taking the temp (no pun intended) of you all on this. We are holding off.
Thanks.
Last edited by Dennis Atick on February 28th, 2020, 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
@decaturwinedude

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Coronavirus and Summer Travel

#2 Post by Michael Martin » February 28th, 2020, 4:38 am

My wife and I just cancelled our trip to Spain next week. We weren’t as concerned about getting sick, but more about getting back. If flights are curtailed or quarantines increase we were worried about getting out. We would have our dog boarded and that was a concern too if we were delayed. We booked through Costco and got all but $600 back. We can always travel.

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#3 Post by Jorge Henriquez » February 28th, 2020, 4:52 am

Oh man. Honeymoon plans have been booked for weeks now. Southern Spain (and Mallorca) plus central France.

At this point we are trudging ahead unless something out of our control happens.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

Dennis Atick

#4 Post by Dennis Atick » February 28th, 2020, 5:08 am

Michael Martin wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 4:38 am
My wife and I just cancelled our trip to Spain next week. We weren’t as concerned about getting sick, but more about getting back. If flights are curtailed or quarantines increase we were worried about getting out. We would have our dog boarded and that was a concern too if we were delayed. We booked through Costco and got all but $600 back. We can always travel.
We were really looking forward to going and I hate to back out, but it seems logical given what is going on. Your last point is spot on.
@decaturwinedude

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Albert R » February 28th, 2020, 5:24 am

We are booked for two weeks in Italy this summer. While it’s still early and a lot will change we are planning to go.
@. Re-go

Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Joe B » February 28th, 2020, 5:25 am

I would back out if I didn't already have tickets in hand that were non refundable. And if it gets worse, tickets in hand be damned.
J W@ll @ce

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Ethan Abraham » February 28th, 2020, 6:12 am

JP Morgan just banned all employees from international travel.

I was working on a trip for august but am not booking anything now. Supposed to go to Caribbean in a few weeks...who knows.

Jeff Bloom
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Jeff Bloom » February 28th, 2020, 6:39 am

We're traveling to Italy (flying into Milan) and Southern Spain in September and not changing anything. Six months is a long time, even for pandemics in the modern world.

A little more concerned about our trip to Australia in two weeks. Not worried about getting sick but who knows what flights will be canceled next.

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#9 Post by Joe Chanley » February 28th, 2020, 6:42 am

My parents are supposed to go to Australia and New Zealand in mid-March for just shy of 4 weeks.....they are very concerned. So hard to get reliable information and determine whether it is real or fear-mongering/panic.

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Mark Y » February 28th, 2020, 6:44 am

Trip to Finland and Denmark in April. Still on track to go.
I’m not too worried unless Europe blows up like China.
Y.e.

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Paul Miller » February 28th, 2020, 6:57 am

Was talking to several people yesterday, and their concerns were getting stuck in or blocked out of an airport. My wife’s office provides a Friday lunch, and they will no longer do buffets - just box lunches. They’ve also halted international travel.

We were considering a trip to Cambodia in December, but have stopped considering that. Probably won’t plan anything until things settle down.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by George Hejna » February 28th, 2020, 7:28 am

I agree with others. I would wait. Wouldn't be too concerned about contracting the virus (as of today). It would just be all the potential headaches it could cause your travel. If you wanted to book something I would just make sure everything is refundable so you can bail out if needed.

George

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by George Hejna » February 28th, 2020, 7:28 am

I agree with others. I would wait. Wouldn't be too concerned about contracting the virus (as of today). It would just be all the potential headaches it could cause your travel. If you wanted to book something I would just make sure everything is refundable so you can bail out if needed.

If you wait and things continue to worsen there could be some great deals out there also.

George

Drew Goin

#14 Post by Drew Goin » February 28th, 2020, 7:31 am

Here's a link with up to date reports on cases of Coronaviris patients by nation:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Rick Allen » February 28th, 2020, 7:35 am

We have a trip to Italy planned for May. I am less worried about the disease than I am about sites being closed and a possible two week quarantine on our return. We have travel insurance, and so far everything is refundable except a couple of train reservations and the flight over. We'll probably make a decision a month before we're scheduled to leave.

Victor Hong

#16 Post by Victor Hong » February 28th, 2020, 7:44 am

Newly purchased travel insurance will not cover Coronavirus-related trip cancellations or interruptions, because the virus is now a known, pre-existing risk for future travel.
WineHunter.

Victor Hong

#17 Post by Victor Hong » February 28th, 2020, 7:47 am

My mother and I cancelled a February San Francisco trip, and United kindly refunded our non-refundable first-class tickets.
Our early October Grand Canyon trip is questionable now, as is a tentative Vancouver trip.
WineHunter.

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by David K o l i n » February 28th, 2020, 7:59 am

Our France and Benelux trip this Spring is on hold.

Our trip to LA in two weeks is not

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Michael O'Brien » February 28th, 2020, 8:03 am

I called Air Canada yesterday because they had changed our flight schedule from Vancouver to Toronto. They are so overwhelmed, the message yesterday was that they will not even put a caller on hold. It is web or nothing. They set no expectation as to when that might change.
PlanoWino

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by mark rudner » February 28th, 2020, 8:12 am

sicily in late june
it will take a lot to get me to cancel, but it's still 4 months

Victor Hong

#21 Post by Victor Hong » February 28th, 2020, 8:24 am

Michael O'Brien wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 8:03 am
I called Air Canada yesterday because they had changed our flight schedule from Vancouver to Toronto. They are so overwhelmed, the message yesterday was that they will not even put a caller on hold. It is web or nothing. They set no expectation as to when that might change.
I am so glad to have called United at an early stage.
WineHunter.

Dennis Atick

#22 Post by Dennis Atick » February 28th, 2020, 8:31 am

Thanks, all. Helpful to hear other opinions. Definitely still holding. Can travel anytime, thankful we hadn't booked yet.
@decaturwinedude

Eric Z.

#23 Post by Eric Z. » February 28th, 2020, 8:35 am

Planning a trip to Greece in June and still going. The stats on the flu (cases and deaths) are way worse than this virus is at this time. Would I go to the epicenter of it all, probably not. Companies like JP and others have to curtail travel so they cannot be sued if someone got the virus.

Maybe I am missing the big picture.

Just my two cents.
Z l o t o g u r a

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Barry L i p t o n » February 28th, 2020, 8:42 am

What is the cost of making and then cancelling your plans. Summer is still a ways off. I have May travel, I think that's a little more dicey.

If you see great frequent flyer ticket availability that is normally hard to find, I would book it and be prepared to pay the cancellation fees. Only book hotels with reasonable cancellation policies (48 hours or less). I don't buy trip insurance, I just generally avoid things with big cancellation penalties.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Michael Martin » February 28th, 2020, 8:43 am

Victor Hong wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 7:44 am
Newly purchased travel insurance will not cover Coronavirus-related trip cancellations or interruptions, because the virus is now a known, pre-existing risk for future travel.
We investigated getting reimbursed for the $600 Costco could not refund (United kept $300/ticket to cancel) and the trip insurance covered zero. Our credit card also offered no remedy. So we ate the $600.

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Russell Faulkner » February 28th, 2020, 8:49 am

Luckily we can drive most places we want to go, my in laws just cancelled a trip to Turkey and Cyprus though for next month.

Victor Hong

#27 Post by Victor Hong » February 28th, 2020, 8:57 am

Michael Martin wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 8:43 am
Victor Hong wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 7:44 am
We investigated getting reimbursed for the $600 Costco could not refund (United kept $300/ticket to cancel) and the trip insurance covered zero. Our credit card also offered no remedy. So we ate the $600.
That is why I called United to ask for a refund, as part of the cancellation. The airline has gained my loyalty.
WineHunter.

T Klonoski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by T Klonoski » February 28th, 2020, 10:55 am

My 17 year old son has a school trip to France booked for mid-April, during spring break. Nonrefundable payments made. Feeling uneasy.
Edit: The closing of the Louvre seems an ominous sign.
Last edited by T Klonoski on March 1st, 2020, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T0m

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by George Hejna » February 28th, 2020, 11:45 am

Marcus Dean

#30 Post by Marcus Dean » February 28th, 2020, 11:50 am

Joe Chanley wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 6:42 am
My parents are supposed to go to Australia and New Zealand in mid-March for just shy of 4 weeks.....they are very concerned. So hard to get reliable information and determine whether it is real or fear-mongering/panic.
Joe,
we have one confirmed case here in NZ, he is a Kiwi passport holder who was in Iran and tested positive on his return.
I wouldnt be worried about visiting New Zealand TBH.

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Jud Reis » February 28th, 2020, 12:06 pm

Still planning on a trip to London and Croatia in June. Tickets are non-refundable and will likely go unless there is a huge outbreak in either area. I think at a certain point either this will get better with warmer weather or it will be so widespread that it will be impossible to quarantine and we are going to have to live with it like the flu.

I already was pretty diligent about washing my hands, but certainly have been even more careful recently...

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Dan Hammer » February 28th, 2020, 4:27 pm

We're headed to the UK next month, and we're still going.

dh
This space for rent.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Michael Martin » February 28th, 2020, 4:58 pm

Feeling better about cancelling Barcelona next week. Cases of the virus have now shown up in the city and south. If we had to be quarantined coming back or worse, in country, that would have sucked.
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ ... ne-1995876

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor

#34 Post by Joe Chanley » February 28th, 2020, 6:38 pm

Marcus Dean wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 11:50 am
Joe Chanley wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 6:42 am
Joe,
we have one confirmed case here in NZ, he is a Kiwi passport holder who was in Iran and tested positive on his return.
I wouldnt be worried about visiting New Zealand TBH.
Thank you!

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Bdklein » February 29th, 2020, 3:57 am

We have a little quandry. We live in the US -our younger daughter is scheduled to go to Southern Italy in early April for a school trip, and my wife and I are scheduled to go to Amsterdam for a few days during her trip. We are using Airbnb so already paid half; the balance is due in late March . And we might need to stick around for some health concerns for our older daughter.

We will figure it all out-or circumstances may make the decisions for us.
Bruce Klein

Michael Feldman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Michael Feldman » February 29th, 2020, 4:35 am

Good luck to all who plan to go to Europe in next few months. I would think twice about any plans to Europe until there is a consensus that this potential pandemic is under control.
I have plans to travel to Sonoma and Santa Clara in May and I am thinking that this probably won’t happen.

Victor Hong

#37 Post by Victor Hong » February 29th, 2020, 4:45 am

We rented houses on Martha's Vineyard for July and on Block Island for August. However, traveling there involves cars and ferries, not crowded planes.
WineHunter.

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Bdklein » February 29th, 2020, 6:28 am

Victor Hong wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 4:45 am
We rented houses on Martha's Vineyard for July and on Block Island for August. However, traveling there involves cars and ferries, not crowded planes.
A guy with your means doesn’t hire private air transportation? I’m shocked .
Bruce Klein

DavidFrankil
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by DavidFrankil » February 29th, 2020, 7:41 am

Plans for two weeks in June in France (Bordeaux and Collioure), transiting through Barcelona there and back. Not cancelling anything right now, but keeping an eye on it.

Like other posters, might be an optimist but I'm more concerned about travel issues coming back, cancelled flights and quarantine.
My avatar is a twelfth century Berserker Lewis rook, from the British Museum. "He stands armed with a sword and exposes his huge teeth with which he bites into his shield. It is this gesture that identifies him as a Berserker – a fierce warrior drawn from Norse mythology that bites his shield in a self-induced frenzy prior to battle."

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » February 29th, 2020, 7:45 am

San Francisco and Napa early August. Not considering canceling, yet. Wait and see. Chicago in June maybe a question mark, in no hurry to book airfare.

Mark Maddox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Mark Maddox » February 29th, 2020, 7:50 am

England and Ireland in June, no plans to cancel at this time, but we have a few months.

Victor Hong

#42 Post by Victor Hong » February 29th, 2020, 8:32 am

Bdklein wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 6:28 am
Victor Hong wrote:
With mean, not means.
WineHunter.

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Bdklein » February 29th, 2020, 9:44 am

Victor Hong wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 8:32 am
Bdklein wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 6:28 am
Victor Hong wrote:
With mean, not means.
In your case , are mean (some would say).
Bruce Klein

Victor Hong

#44 Post by Victor Hong » February 29th, 2020, 10:39 am

Meanness.
WineHunter.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 29th, 2020, 11:05 am

Jorge Henriquez wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 4:52 am
Oh man. Honeymoon plans have been booked for weeks now. Southern Spain (and Mallorca) plus central France.

At this point we are trudging ahead unless something out of our control happens.
COVID aside, congratulations Jorge!
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by PeterH » February 29th, 2020, 11:58 am

We don't have to travel, or wait for summer. Corona virus is here in King County, WA.

We are going ahead with travel to So. America next week. (Not Brazil, where there is the only recorded case on the continent).
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#47 Post by Jorge Henriquez » February 29th, 2020, 8:18 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 11:05 am
Jorge Henriquez wrote:

Thank you Counselor!
Cohort Numero Uno!

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by David K o l i n » February 29th, 2020, 8:38 pm

Jorge Henriquez wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 8:18 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 11:05 am
Jorge Henriquez wrote:

Thank you Counselor!
Indeed, Jorge. Bury yourself on Mallorca. If if have to be stranded, I know a couple of places in Deia and Porto de Polenca that will make you forget about ever coming back.

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#49 Post by Jorge Henriquez » February 29th, 2020, 8:45 pm

Shoot, and here I was hoping that if we do get quarantined it could be in Andalusia, Lyon or Beaune.

Thanks Dave. Happy to take notes of the points of interest in Mallorca nonetheless.
Cohort Numero Uno!

Matt Mauldin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Matt Mauldin » February 29th, 2020, 10:42 pm

Italy trip planned for end of April. Flying into Milan and out of Rome. Studying all my arrangements I'm sure it would be feasible to reschedule without losing much of what I've already paid, just the hassle of rescheduling. Like others, I'm more concerned with getting back home rather than the virus itself. We'll make a a decision at 30 days out. Still keeping an open mind to going, but if it's still a level 3 travel advisory we'd look to reschedule.
ITB

Return to “Travel and Restaurants Forum”