Coronavirus and Summer Travel

I posted this in one of the Coronavirus threads, but figured I might get better discussion here as it relates to travel. I have never been an alarmist about these types of things, but I am taking pause as concern mounts about Covid.
I can’t be the only one worrying about travel plans.

Informal poll:
If you were ready to book a family trip to Spain this summer- itinerary all set, on verge of booking for the last month -would you book?
I’m not a paranoiac, not worried specifically that we all going to get sick, but I am concerned about overall international disruption.
Just taking the temp (no pun intended) of you all on this. We are holding off.
Thanks.

My wife and I just cancelled our trip to Spain next week. We weren’t as concerned about getting sick, but more about getting back. If flights are curtailed or quarantines increase we were worried about getting out. We would have our dog boarded and that was a concern too if we were delayed. We booked through Costco and got all but $600 back. We can always travel.

Oh man. Honeymoon plans have been booked for weeks now. Southern Spain (and Mallorca) plus central France.

At this point we are trudging ahead unless something out of our control happens.

We were really looking forward to going and I hate to back out, but it seems logical given what is going on. Your last point is spot on.

We are booked for two weeks in Italy this summer. While it’s still early and a lot will change we are planning to go.

I would back out if I didn’t already have tickets in hand that were non refundable. And if it gets worse, tickets in hand be damned.

JP Morgan just banned all employees from international travel.

I was working on a trip for august but am not booking anything now. Supposed to go to Caribbean in a few weeks…who knows.

We’re traveling to Italy (flying into Milan) and Southern Spain in September and not changing anything. Six months is a long time, even for pandemics in the modern world.

A little more concerned about our trip to Australia in two weeks. Not worried about getting sick but who knows what flights will be canceled next.

My parents are supposed to go to Australia and New Zealand in mid-March for just shy of 4 weeks…they are very concerned. So hard to get reliable information and determine whether it is real or fear-mongering/panic.

Trip to Finland and Denmark in April. Still on track to go.
I’m not too worried unless Europe blows up like China.

Was talking to several people yesterday, and their concerns were getting stuck in or blocked out of an airport. My wife’s office provides a Friday lunch, and they will no longer do buffets - just box lunches. They’ve also halted international travel.

We were considering a trip to Cambodia in December, but have stopped considering that. Probably won’t plan anything until things settle down.

I agree with others. I would wait. Wouldn’t be too concerned about contracting the virus (as of today). It would just be all the potential headaches it could cause your travel. If you wanted to book something I would just make sure everything is refundable so you can bail out if needed.

George

I agree with others. I would wait. Wouldn’t be too concerned about contracting the virus (as of today). It would just be all the potential headaches it could cause your travel. If you wanted to book something I would just make sure everything is refundable so you can bail out if needed.

If you wait and things continue to worsen there could be some great deals out there also.

George

Here’s a link with up to date reports on cases of Coronaviris patients by nation:

We have a trip to Italy planned for May. I am less worried about the disease than I am about sites being closed and a possible two week quarantine on our return. We have travel insurance, and so far everything is refundable except a couple of train reservations and the flight over. We’ll probably make a decision a month before we’re scheduled to leave.

Newly purchased travel insurance will not cover Coronavirus-related trip cancellations or interruptions, because the virus is now a known, pre-existing risk for future travel.

My mother and I cancelled a February San Francisco trip, and United kindly refunded our non-refundable first-class tickets.
Our early October Grand Canyon trip is questionable now, as is a tentative Vancouver trip.

Our France and Benelux trip this Spring is on hold.

Our trip to LA in two weeks is not

I called Air Canada yesterday because they had changed our flight schedule from Vancouver to Toronto. They are so overwhelmed, the message yesterday was that they will not even put a caller on hold. It is web or nothing. They set no expectation as to when that might change.

sicily in late june
it will take a lot to get me to cancel, but it’s still 4 months