Charleston, SC recs

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics, including restaurants
Tom Chen
GCC Member
GCC Member

Charleston, SC recs

#1 Post by Tom Chen » June 1st, 2020, 11:43 am

Looks like we are keeping our family vacation to South Carolina June 20-27, arriving Saturday night at Charleston and staying at French Quarter Inn for one night. Any recs for a breakfast, brunch, lunch, or early dinner on Sunday before we head out to Kiawah Island?
Will have a 14 year old, a 9 year old, and an 8 year old. Looked at Halls Chophouse for a gospel brunch and Husk for lunch.

Thanks in advance!

And, if anyone has any Kiawah Island recs, added thanks for those.

Tom

Sean C.

Re: Charleston, SC recs

#2 Post by Sean C. » June 3rd, 2020, 2:50 pm

Husk for lunch is a great call. We went with 6 people and it was almost empty. The earlier you can go, the better.

If you have time to scoot a bit north of the city, home team BBQ is a big spot with outdoor seating and would be great for the kids. Swing through Vom Fass if you're downtown on King Street. It's a wine shop/gourmet/novelty shop. Very knowledgeable staff, and worth stopping in if you're in need of a bottle or two to go.
Eye-opening producers: Au Bon Climat / Peter Lauer / Envinate / Clemens Busch / Lopez de Heredia / Pax / Bernard Baudry / Mother Rock / Maitre de Chai / Tissot / Channing Daughters / Vitor Claro / Raul Perez / Eric Texier / Bordelet (not wine, but incredible cider).

Sean Cahill

Tom Chen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Tom Chen » June 3rd, 2020, 3:00 pm

Thanks Sean.

Will need to call Husk, as their website still says closed due to Covid-19.

Will check on your other options, assuming they are walking distance. I think we prefer to stroll around Sunday, assuming good weather.

N. Justl
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by N. Justl » June 3rd, 2020, 3:42 pm

Home Tram BBQ is a good call. I would add Leon’s to the list as well.
Nick

M. Taylor

#5 Post by M. Taylor » June 3rd, 2020, 5:12 pm

Ate at Husk and Hall’s in January — both excellent. Magnolia’s was also very good.

Oh — just before you get to Kiawah, there is a small place on the right called Kinfolk that has amazing hot chicken. Keep in mind when you are at Kiawah
M a r k

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » June 3rd, 2020, 5:25 pm

We liked Lewis in March

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Scott Brunson » June 4th, 2020, 6:38 am

I’ll climb in the car and do a recon mission for you this weekend—lots of places still closed (some permanently). Lewis was only open for takeout but I haven’t checked lately. SC cases are increasing since reopening but Charleston County is not really a hot spot right now. Social distancing on the beach should not be a problem. All golf is open as well.
Feel free to PM at any time.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Tom Chen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Tom Chen » June 4th, 2020, 8:47 am

Thanks for all the recs! Definitely will look into them.

Scott, thanks for doing the recon. I'll PM you shortly.

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by David K o l i n » June 4th, 2020, 9:23 am

FIG, even if you have to leave the kids in the car. Seriously, our kids (who were a bit older) did fine. And it looks like their dining rooms is open

Tom Chen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Tom Chen » June 4th, 2020, 9:26 am

Thanks David, but just checked on their website, and they are closed on Sundays, which is the only day we are in Charleston. Rest of the trip is at Kiawah.

James Sanders

#11 Post by James Sanders » June 4th, 2020, 10:56 am

Leon's. Kids will be happy with the fried chicken. You get that, plus oysters and grower Champagne.

Tom Chen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Tom Chen » June 4th, 2020, 11:29 am

Thanks James. Leon's looks great. I just make a reservation, but will keep looking.

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Scott Brunson » June 5th, 2020, 11:18 am

James Sanders wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 10:56 am
Leon's. Kids will be happy with the fried chicken. You get that, plus oysters and grower Champagne.
Good call
Fleet Landing would also be good for the kids (and a short walk from the hotel).
I don’t love the food but it’s ok.
On CT, I'm S1

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Mattstolz » June 6th, 2020, 10:38 am

Husk is still closed. one of the people in my quarantine group was the wine manager at Husk Greenville until the quarantine stuck. theyre being super careful with reopening but it sounds like theyre targeting July sometime to open.

I'll also be in Charleston Fathers day weekend! We're going to FIG, the Ordinary, Leons, Malagon, and possible Rodney Scotts or Home team. reservations at FIG are tough but every time I go its one of my top meals of the year.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » June 6th, 2020, 10:42 am

The meal we had at McCrady’s on our anniversary in March was the last one I’d eaten at a sit down restaurant, good way to send off the pre-covid era, though. I was impressed they had 12 Lambrays btg with the reserve pairings.

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Mattstolz » June 6th, 2020, 12:16 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 10:42 am
The meal we had at McCrady’s on our anniversary in March was the last one I’d eaten at a sit down restaurant, good way to send off the pre-covid era, though. I was impressed they had 12 Lambrays btg with the reserve pairings.
McCradys is actually permanently closed now

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Mattstolz » June 6th, 2020, 12:19 pm

also worth mentioning:
Charleston has a couple very solid wine shops, I really like Monarch Wine Merchants and Graft. Both on upper King Street.

Scott Brunson wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 11:18 am
oh another worth mention: Charleston (especially King street) was hit pretty hard by riots last weekend. The city has a long long race history (the main city market is in a building that used to be a slave auction). it has apparently been peaceful since last Saturday and hopefully things will be getting fixed and cleaned up by the time your trip is coming in a couple weeks, but something to keep in mind. Scott, how has downtown looked in the last couple days?

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » June 6th, 2020, 12:26 pm

Mattstolz wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 12:16 pm
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
That sucks. I remember wishing them good fortune in the times to come when we left, too bad. I imagine we were close to one of the last groups to go through there.

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Scott Brunson » June 6th, 2020, 1:26 pm

Mattstolz wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 12:19 pm
also worth mentioning:
Charleston has a couple very solid wine shops, I really like Monarch Wine Merchants and Graft. Both on upper King Street.

Scott Brunson wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 11:18 am
oh another worth mention: Charleston (especially King street) was hit pretty hard by riots last weekend. The city has a long long race history (the main city market is in a building that used to be a slave auction). it has apparently been peaceful since last Saturday and hopefully things will be getting fixed and cleaned up by the time your trip is coming in a couple weeks, but something to keep in mind. Scott, how has downtown looked in the last couple days?
Most King St and Meeting St businesses boarded yesterday aft
9:00 curfew last night but no curfew today.

With the exception of last weekend’s insanity, protests have remained peaceful.
On CT, I'm S1

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Mattstolz » June 6th, 2020, 1:56 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 12:26 pm
Mattstolz wrote:
June 6th, 2020, 12:16 pm
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
That sucks. I remember wishing them good fortune in the times to come when we left, too bad. I imagine we were close to one of the last groups to go through there.
agreed. one of the best dining experiences I've ever had was at one of the older iterations of McCradys. My theory is Brock drove a lot of the traffic to McCrady's, especially the tasting menu side. not as many people interested in a 12 course tasting menu for several hundred dollars from someone who isn't Sean Brock. apparently it had already been in discussion before COVID and the shutdowns only served to move the timeline forward.

F.Daner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by F.Daner » June 7th, 2020, 4:38 am

Tom- https://theobstinatedaughter.com/ would be a good choice for several of the meal slots you have.

cheers
Fred

Toby P

#22 Post by Toby P » June 8th, 2020, 3:09 pm

Been going to Kiawah annually for a long time now, I'll offer my thoughts on dining. Caveat, small sample size (only eat out for dinner 2-3x a trip) and I haven't tried a lot of the newer spots, especially in Bohicket Marina. And of course, dining around Kiawah won't compare to what Charleston has to offer. Also, I'll second Kinfolk for delicious chicken!

Jasmine Porch (at the Sanctuary Hotel): I think this is the best of the hotel / public golf course restaurants. Really nice setting, solid upscale southern dining. Also, if you're not staying there I'd recommend going before dinner (or staying after depending on when you eat) to enjoy a drink at the lobby bar and strolling around. Beautiful room / hotel.

Hege's: Surprisingly solid French cuisine at the shopping village near the island entrance. Haven't been in a few years, but it's survived ~15 years and Yelp reviews look pretty good so I trust the food is still very good!

Ocean Course Ryder Cup Bar: Good for a casual meal with upscale bar fare / burgers etc. And great setting at the Ocean Course if you want to see it without spending a small fortune to play it :) There's also a fancier restaurant there but never been.

Kiawah Island Club: If you know anyone who's a member and can get you a reservation, they have great dining at all the facilities. Cassique golf course probably the best of them, and great clubhouse setting

Further out: Fat Hen, Royal Tern, Wild Olive. I haven't tried any of these, but there's a stretch about halfway between Charleston and Kiawah with a bunch of restaurants and I've heard excellent things about these 3 from multiple friends. Again, it's a drive from Kiawah and hence I've never bothered...some of those roads are not great to drive at night especially after a glass or two.

Not sure what the COVID policy is down there, so might make sense to book some reservations well ahead of time if restaurants are limiting capacity

Cheers!
P r a t t

Tom Chen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Tom Chen » June 8th, 2020, 3:13 pm

Great info Toby.

Thanks much!

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Scott Brunson » June 12th, 2020, 6:24 pm

Toby P wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 3:09 pm

Further out: Fat Hen, Royal Tern, Wild Olive. I haven't tried any of these, but there's a stretch about halfway between Charleston and Kiawah with a bunch of restaurants and I've heard excellent things about these 3 from multiple friends. Again, it's a drive from Kiawah and hence I've never bothered...some of those roads are not great to drive at night especially after a glass or two.

Cheers!
All good, but that road is no fun at night.
On CT, I'm S1

Steve Crawford

#25 Post by Steve Crawford » August 30th, 2020, 3:33 am

went to charleston last month. Husk for sunday brunch was solid. Delaney oyster house was decent. The Ordinary was excellent. believe it or not, my least favorite meal was Fig. having never been there before, i thought the room was a shithole and not in an ironic way. service sucked and food had some big hits but also some misses.

F.Daner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by F.Daner » September 9th, 2020, 12:49 pm

We're doing one night in Charleston at the end of Sept on the way to Banner Elk NC. It will be a Tuesday so thinking getting a reservation may not be too hard. I was thinking about Fig, Husk, The Ordinary. Is the town corkage friendly ? We will probably do an early lunch the next day. We were thinking either Rodney Scott for BBQ or Leon's for Seafood ?? We saw the profile on RS on Chef's table and would like to stop by but we also love seafood and Leon's looks great.
Fred

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by James Lyon » September 10th, 2020, 5:53 am

F.Daner wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 12:49 pm
We're doing one night in Charleston at the end of Sept on the way to Banner Elk NC. It will be a Tuesday so thinking getting a reservation may not be too hard. I was thinking about Fig, Husk, The Ordinary. Is the town corkage friendly ? We will probably do an early lunch the next day. We were thinking either Rodney Scott for BBQ or Leon's for Seafood ?? We saw the profile on RS on Chef's table and would like to stop by but we also love seafood and Leon's looks great.
Fred, I've posted about FIG's corkage policy in previous Charleston threads, but it's $40 per bottle, if I remember correctly, and it doesn't matter if you order another bottle of wine or glasses from the menu. The house policy rules which is fine. I think that Husk is $20 per bottle and there is some wiggle room with other purchases from the wine menu, so it may depend on the server. I can't recall eating at the Ordinary, but most places in Charleston have reasonable corkage.

We were in Charleston the week of July 4 (and we are heading back in 2 weeks), but I thought that the recent meal at Husk was excellent. I would highly recommend checking out Chez Nous' Instagram account for their daily menu during your stay. The menu is usually posted before lunch. It's a limited menu, but if something catches your eye, go! You will not be disappointed. FIG was good in July and I think that we have reservations at FIG and Husk during our upcoming stay.

I would suggest Leon's for lunch. Oysters and fried chicken with grower Champagne is always a good thing. We usually grab to go from Lewis BBQ on our way out of town, but they were closed on July 4 with a covid case, so we tried Rodney Scott's. We ordered a number of items and I thought that the pulled pork was excellent, but my preference is Lewis for BBQ. If you have a cooler, I would suggest grabbing some brisket, hot guts, etc. from Lewis on your way out of town to Banner Elk.

James

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Scott Brunson » September 10th, 2020, 5:01 pm

F.Daner wrote:
Don’t delay if looking for FIG res.
Leon’s is great.
Scott’s in Hemingway blows away the Chas location.
Agree, I would do Lewis.

Chas cases are way down btw, BUT schools start at max capacity in a week.
On CT, I'm S1

F.Daner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by F.Daner » September 11th, 2020, 3:52 am

James/Scott- thank you ! Husk it is for dinner. I've been to the one in Nashville. The menu posted yesterday looked awesome.

Probably Lewis for lunch before we head out of town.

Scott- are you on the east coast of Fl ?
Fred

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by James Lyon » September 11th, 2020, 12:01 pm

And I really don't consider Leon's a seafood restaurant. If you are looking for seafood, we usually eat at 167 Raw during our visits. As a local, I'm sure that Scott can provide a few more seafood recommendations as well.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by alan weinberg » September 17th, 2020, 7:02 pm

list of 100 best restaurants came out and many from Charleston: https://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersCh ... ining-g191

F.Daner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by F.Daner » September 27th, 2020, 9:48 am

Scott- any thoughts on the tasting menu at Zero ? I've got a buddy who loves it. The menu looked great.
Scott Brunson wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 5:01 pm
F.Daner wrote:
Leon’s is great.
Agree, I would do Lewis.

Fred

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Scott Brunson » September 27th, 2020, 10:31 am

F.Daner wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 9:48 am
Scott- any thoughts on the tasting menu at Zero ? I've got a buddy who loves it. The menu looked great.
Scott Brunson wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 5:01 pm
F.Daner wrote:
Leon’s is great.
Agree, I would do Lewis.

We haven’t done Zero but are big fans of Wild Common (sister restaurant I think?)
Of course we haven’t eaten out anywhere this year.
[head-bang.gif]
On CT, I'm S1

Return to “Travel and Restaurants Forum”