Charleston, SC recs

Looks like we are keeping our family vacation to South Carolina June 20-27, arriving Saturday night at Charleston and staying at French Quarter Inn for one night. Any recs for a breakfast, brunch, lunch, or early dinner on Sunday before we head out to Kiawah Island?
Will have a 14 year old, a 9 year old, and an 8 year old. Looked at Halls Chophouse for a gospel brunch and Husk for lunch.

Thanks in advance!

And, if anyone has any Kiawah Island recs, added thanks for those.

Tom

1 Like

Husk for lunch is a great call. We went with 6 people and it was almost empty. The earlier you can go, the better.

If you have time to scoot a bit north of the city, home team BBQ is a big spot with outdoor seating and would be great for the kids. Swing through Vom Fass if you’re downtown on King Street. It’s a wine shop/gourmet/novelty shop. Very knowledgeable staff, and worth stopping in if you’re in need of a bottle or two to go.

Thanks Sean.

Will need to call Husk, as their website still says closed due to Covid-19.

Will check on your other options, assuming they are walking distance. I think we prefer to stroll around Sunday, assuming good weather.

Home Tram BBQ is a good call. I would add Leon’s to the list as well.

Ate at Husk and Hall’s in January — both excellent. Magnolia’s was also very good.

Oh — just before you get to Kiawah, there is a small place on the right called Kinfolk that has amazing hot chicken. Keep in mind when you are at Kiawah

We liked Lewis in March

I’ll climb in the car and do a recon mission for you this weekend—lots of places still closed (some permanently). Lewis was only open for takeout but I haven’t checked lately. SC cases are increasing since reopening but Charleston County is not really a hot spot right now. Social distancing on the beach should not be a problem. All golf is open as well.
Feel free to PM at any time.

Thanks for all the recs! Definitely will look into them.

Scott, thanks for doing the recon. I’ll PM you shortly.

FIG, even if you have to leave the kids in the car. Seriously, our kids (who were a bit older) did fine. And it looks like their dining rooms is open

Thanks David, but just checked on their website, and they are closed on Sundays, which is the only day we are in Charleston. Rest of the trip is at Kiawah.

Leon’s. Kids will be happy with the fried chicken. You get that, plus oysters and grower Champagne.

Thanks James. Leon’s looks great. I just make a reservation, but will keep looking.

Good call
Fleet Landing would also be good for the kids (and a short walk from the hotel).
I don’t love the food but it’s ok.

Husk is still closed. one of the people in my quarantine group was the wine manager at Husk Greenville until the quarantine stuck. theyre being super careful with reopening but it sounds like theyre targeting July sometime to open.

I’ll also be in Charleston Fathers day weekend! We’re going to FIG, the Ordinary, Leons, Malagon, and possible Rodney Scotts or Home team. reservations at FIG are tough but every time I go its one of my top meals of the year.

The meal we had at McCrady’s on our anniversary in March was the last one I’d eaten at a sit down restaurant, good way to send off the pre-covid era, though. I was impressed they had 12 Lambrays btg with the reserve pairings.

McCradys is actually permanently closed now

also worth mentioning:
Charleston has a couple very solid wine shops, I really like Monarch Wine Merchants and Graft. Both on upper King Street.

oh another worth mention: Charleston (especially King street) was hit pretty hard by riots last weekend. The city has a long long race history (the main city market is in a building that used to be a slave auction). it has apparently been peaceful since last Saturday and hopefully things will be getting fixed and cleaned up by the time your trip is coming in a couple weeks, but something to keep in mind. Scott, how has downtown looked in the last couple days?

That sucks. I remember wishing them good fortune in the times to come when we left, too bad. I imagine we were close to one of the last groups to go through there.

Most King St and Meeting St businesses boarded yesterday aft
9:00 curfew last night but no curfew today.

With the exception of last weekend’s insanity, protests have remained peaceful.

agreed. one of the best dining experiences I’ve ever had was at one of the older iterations of McCradys. My theory is Brock drove a lot of the traffic to McCrady’s, especially the tasting menu side. not as many people interested in a 12 course tasting menu for several hundred dollars from someone who isn’t Sean Brock. apparently it had already been in discussion before COVID and the shutdowns only served to move the timeline forward.