Heated restaurant terraces to be banned in France

The mayor of Paris was resisting but looks like it will go through next year. I’ll miss it but I suppose the reasoning is sound.

Ils sont nul

these are radiation heaters and not air heaters

So they’re not wasting energy when people could simply layer up or get inside?

Are you referring to the heaters or the politicians?

Oui, ils sont nuls - les politiciens. I’ve spent many a night out on a heated terrace in Paris enjoying a cigar while my son worked in a restaurant like Chez André serving, cleaning and closing, or enjoying an after dinner drink with friends. I would think this is going to have a real economic impact on cafés, especially next year reeling from a pandemic. Who wants to be forced to sit inside at this point, especially in a city that glories in sitting outside?

In general, I disapprove of heating the outdoors. but you have an excellent point about forcing people indoors during a pandemic.
They should ease off for the time being, and give a warning about long term policy.

My understanding is that this is coming in from next year, so during the pandemic affected winter coming up Andrew can still enjoy his cigars.

Surprised I agree with Anne Hidalgo on something!

Can’t tell you how many nights I spent drinking Almaza beer downstairs at a Lebanese dive restaurant next to our apartment; this isn’t going to just hit tourists sipping from Carafes in the 7th.

I’ll join the manifestation on this one! Off to Trocadero!!!

When i talk about our recent trip to Paris, the outside seating at the cafe’s are one of the first things i mention. The interiors of many of the places are overheated so they are much more pleasant. Additionally, they really came in handy New Years when after walking 15 miles, we were blocked from walking back to our apartment by the police. They ref9used to allow anyone on foot to cross the Champs. It was raining and relatively chilly, we were unable to get an Uber for over 2 hours. Getting a seat at an outdoor cafe was a real lifesaver. It kept us away from the German rowdies overturning planters along the Champs, dry, warm and relatively comfortable while we waited for the Uber. None of the restaurants or bars were allowing people inside.
Instead of an outright ban, how about reasonable regulation. Only when there is actually someone at the table, only when the temp is below a certain mark or raining.

Me: Can you believe they are banning outdoor heaters at cafes in Paris?
Daughter: OK boomer.

She appears to be assimilating quite well :slight_smile: