Planning a Fall New England Trip

My wife and I are planning a trip next year to see the Fall colors. So many questions, when is the best time to visit if we want to see the Fall colors in full bloom? Any recommendations on places to stay and restaurants to eat at? Any can’t miss B & B’s or air BnB?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

I can only speak for New York. I’d suggest heading to New England in the next week or so if you want to see peak colors. Parts of upstate NY are there.

Just enter your date. Peak Fall Foliage Map - New England Today

Just came back from Manchester, VT. Foliage was beautiful.

Woodstock was a nice town, as was Dorset and the Merck farm in Rupert was a stunning landscape.

The food scene seemed so-so, at best, unfortunately.

Amazing foliage in Jackson, NH. Drive the Kancamangus Highway for gorgeous vistas with scenic overlooks.

Also planning fall trip next year. This will be our 3rd time.

Usually start in Portland Maine (can’t turn down a good lobster) and drive up to NH and take the Kancamagus Highway … then drive down to Woodstock Vermont. From Woodstock, we go to Killington and then go up Route 100 to Stowe and Smugglers Notch. We then drive into NY and go to Saranac Lake, Tupper Lake and Indian Lake.

As for best time/days to go … we usually go October 3rd through about the 10th. This year, I heard fall foliage was early but, in the past I have hit brilliant colors at the time previously mentioned.

Bumping this as we’re considering something like Joel’s suggested route for the Fall. Looking for lodging and dining recommendations along the way. Beautiful/historic/character/scenic more important than modern/luxurious/in-house spa.

We’ve never visited the area (Albany or Boston are as close as I’ve been), so any and all suggestions welcome. Which towns to stay in vs visit for a quick stop, scenic hikes/drives, etc. I guess a pilgrimage to the Lake Placid ice rink would be good, too.

We have SW miles so flying in to Portland and out of Albany seems like a good way to do it.

Thoughts? Things not to miss? Things to Avoid? Thanks!

Just stayed a few days in Woodstock. The food was much better than around Manchester.

Not Michelin quality but Prince and Pauper, Mangalitsa, and the restaurant in the Woodstock Inn were all pretty good.

Have spent quite a bit of time back there, as well. Love the Woodstock area. Couple of other things to consider:

If you’re friends with Peter Baird, hit him up for ideas as well.