Early June Atlantic beach vac recs

Greetings,

We are planning a family trip to celebrate our youngest’s high school graduation. We had a nice trip to Costa Rica planned out, but are scrapping it now with the requirement to get Covid testing prior to return to US. My wife and I will both have our 2nd vaccine shots in the next week. Dates will be June 6-13. Son is looking for a nice place to rent a house near the beach. I’m thinking Florida will be too hot/humid in June, so I’m starting to look into coastal NC and SC, but don’t know much about those areas. I see a thread on the Outer Banks below, which I’ll peruse. Other factors: Would like to have decent grocery nearby for fish/meats, proximity to golfing, and not incredibly crowded.
Any specific recs would be greatly appreciated!
TIA, Jan

Look in Hilton ahead or Kiawah island.

Take a look at Sea Island GA and neighboring islands. We stayed on Sea Island in Sept and loved it. Heading back in a couple of weeks.

We tried Kiawah Island last June and found it much more crowded.

Thanks, I will look into both options.

Did you stay at the Cloister resort or rent a house? We’d prefer to rent a house, as we’ll have 19 and 20 y.o. kids with us. I’m trying to determine if most of the things to do on the island require staying at the resort?
thanks

Amelia Island…very nice without humidity of south Florida.

Duplicate

We were at the Ritz at Amelia Island for a wedding Memorial Day in 2018. it was in the mid nineties each day and humid.

We stated at the Ritz Amelia in Jan 2016 for NYE. We found it a little dated and stuffy - but the beach was nice. Was it renovated when you were there in 2018?

Thanks everyone for the tips. I’ve also received a recommendation for Seaside, FL - described as a quaint beach town surrounded by the redneck riviera.

I find the beaches at Kiawah to be gorgeous. Certainly plenty of golf too. Close enough to Charleston for some really great meals. There are a ton of condo rentals too. Side note, I was there in mid June a few years back and it was 95 degrees with 100% humidity every day. Fine by the beach, but man did I sweat my ass off on the golf course.

As a Wisconsinite - I was afraid to hear that!!

Savannah / Tybee Island

yes, it had just been renovated

1 Like

June in Fla isn’t too bad BTW. July/Aug Sept are HOT.

Leaning towards Seaside, FL as we think the HS graduate would be most happy with the amenities/activities there combined with the nice beaches and more swimmable water. Thanks for all of the great tips. I think my wife and I will make a separate trip in the near future to visit Sea Island, Savannah, and Charleston.

I live in the Redneck Riveria close to Orange Beach/Gulf Shores, AL area. Seaside is on Hwy 30a in the Florida panhandle. Expand your search to 30a including Seaside. You will find Watercolor, Rosemary Beach, Alys Beach as well as Seaside are all great options. It is upscale and will be crowded in its own way, very family centered.

We just got back from Amelia Island and it was cool. Early June should not be too hot but hot enough. We stayed in a 2BR 2 Bth VRBO condo next to the Ritz. Overall we really enjoyed it. Note: It was NOT crowded at all.