Looking for Roque Valley - Applegate Valley area winery suggestions

Looking to do a late summer trip to Medford - Ashland OR area.
Would appreciate winery and dining suggestions.
We drink mostly red wines and enjoy an occasional white wine as well.
Probably would stop at 2-3 at most.

Thanks.

Sort of a short list:
Restaurants in Ashland - Hearsay; Peerless; MAS for the small plate experience (expensive); if you like an old fashion “Rat Pack” steakhouse, Omars is decent. Unfortunately, Sammy’s, probably the best from a wine perspective, burned down last September.
Wineries - Dancin; Irvine & Roberts; Quady North (tasting room in downtown Jacksonville); maybe Belle Fiore; maybe Peter Williams for their tempranillos - need a reservation. There are many others that are fun but you probably won’t be leaving the tasting room with any of their wines.

1 Like

Cow Horn is a bit out of the way (unless you are coming from the coast), in Applegate Valley, but is the single “must visit” in the whole area.

Schmidt Family is really set up for visitors, with extensive gardens, outside dining, and a wood fired pizza oven. The wines are appealing to many people, but are really pushing it on alcohol levels.

RoxyAnn is one to consider in Ashland.

1 Like

We always hit Ostras for tapas when in Ashland and it never disappoints. I did read that they promoted an existing sous chef to head chef so I’m really hoping quality doesn’t slip. The pork cheeks were fantastic.

I’ll plus one on Dancin but didn’t really enjoy Quady North. Long walk had a great view but the wine was just ok and didn’t like Dana Campbell. I’ve heard Cowhorn is the spot.

It’s a few hours away but let me know if you head up to Bend!

Dave

1 Like

DANCIN is a great experience.

Cowhorn is under new ownership and likely to have a bright future.

Irvine & Roberts and Quady are solid.

Troon is definitely worth a visit.

1 Like

I would add Hither and Alchemy to the list for dining in Ashland. Alchemy has a top notch wine list as well.

1 Like

I had solid tastings in 2017 at Upper Five, Cowhorn, Quay North, Troon and Wooldridge Creek. I & R served a corked wine.

Unless the drought outlook changes, you may have a vacation that is disrupted by smoke, road closures, evacuations, etc. — given what the wildfire season outlook is currently. So you might want to pay attention to how the drought situation develops.