Golf in Hawaii

Best courses in Kauai and Maui? Looking to get one round in each place. Thanks in advance.

Thoroughly enjoyed the Plantation course at Kapalua, played about 5 times. While the Bay course skirts the ocean, the views from the plantation course are actually more spectacular. Where else can you golf and whale watch at the same time?
Plus if you can hit a nice slow draw, you can brag about your 500+yd tee shot on 18. If you hit a fade/slice all you are going to hear is “you’re still away” repeatedly.
We also had 2 or 3 fun meals at the Plantation house. It may just have been the view, but it is a great place to hang out after playing. It has probably changed a bit since we have been, but the sunset view hasn’t changed.

1 Like

Agree above. Departing tonight. Also must eat at Miso Phat and Cane and Canoe.

Looks like we are playing Poipu Bay in Kauai and The Plantation course on Maui. I’ll let you know how they were.

• I will not be sharing my scorecard, however.

Both are great selections, Paul, enjoy the experience. If time allows, the Prince course in Princeville on Kauai is quite special. Poipu Bay is a great track, too, but the Prince course will feel like you’re winding your way through a jungle…bring lots of balls though, as it can be a challenge. Also, try to get onto the Plantation Course as early as you can to get ahead of some of the high winds that will inevitably come on as the day progresses. Those winds can become quite strong and add to the challenge of the course. Great track and you’ll enjoy the sweeping views and have a greater appreciation the next time you see the pro’s playing there each January.

We weren’t able to get to to Poipu as the road construction between Hanalei and Princeville made timing an issue. Played the Makai course at Princeville instead. Nice course, great mountain and ocean views. Pretty easy course even for me (I rarely play).

I didn’t love the Plantation course. Spectacular views, beautiful course, but…I found there to be too many blind shots and other unexpected results like hitting a good ball up one side of the fairway and having to search the other side to find your ball, etc. hit one 8 iron at an elevated green that looked ok, got in cart, drove towards green and passed a ball rolling backwards, like 80 yards from green, and neither of us could imagine that would be my ball, but it was. Perhaps with some knowledge of the course it would be different. Or a better golfer. [cheers.gif]

Anybody played Poipu semi-recently?
Worth the coin?
We’ll be on Kauai Sept 1-8.

We’re staying near Wailua Muni; looks fun and walkable.
We’ll also play the three Kings’ courses in Waikoloa the following week. We’re staying on site so that seems like a no brainer.

Played Poipu last fall. Fun course. Played Wailua and Ocean Course too. Poipu was favorite followed by Wailua.

THANKS KRIS!
We’re pretty excited–never been to HI.

1 Like

That’s awesome, Scott…have fun!

Since you’ll be in the Waikoloa area as well, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention/suggest playing at either Mauna Lani or Mauna Kea. Mauna Kea is one of my absolute favorite golf courses as there are some stunning holes and views (ie #3 is incredible) and the greens, while firm and fast, are very pure. I haven’t gotten down to Hualalai down at the Four Seasons closer to Kona yet, but that’s another popular track to play on the Big Island. Enjoy the trip…we absolutely love Hawaii and the golf is always fun there.

The mexican restaurant at Wailua is worth eating at after a round…and a couple margs.

1 Like

I am a big fan of Kauai, especially the North Shore/Hanalei/Haena area .

If you can swing a boat ride up the Napali Coast, it is spectacular. (You can also hike it, but it is a serious commitment to go deep into it- if you want to day hike, check https://gohaena.com because parking is an issue). But must see, in my opinion.

Snorkel/Sea Caves already on agenda!
THANKS