Finger Lakes Wineries and Restaurants

My wife and I have a wedding to attend in mid-July and will be in the Finger Lakes region for several days. This is not an area of the country with which we are at all familiar. We will spend most of our time between Ithaca and Watkins Glen. We may also spend some time in Corning. We’d love some recs for restaurants in or around those cities/towns. Also, Katherine is a dry reisling fan, but has yet to really explore the Finger Lakes wines, so we would be very interested in any wineries worth visiting around Seneca or Cayuga lakes.

Thanks
Greg

Here are a few I visited last September who make great dry rielsings
Boundary Breaks
Standing Stone/Herman Weimer - Standing Stone is owned by Weimer so you can taste both wineries wines
Red Newt
Forge Cellars
Hickory Hollow/Nathan Kendall

FLX Table may be out of the way for dinner it’s in Geneva

Thanks, Mark. I’ll check into dinner in Geneva too.

For dry riesling I would also recommend Ravines (especially the Argetsinger) and Heart & Hands (especially the Paul’s Legacy)

2 Likes

All good suggestions but the two wineries missing from the above that I view as two of the best in the FLX are Red Tail Ridge and Kemmeter Wines. If you end up going to Kemmeter (which I strongly recommend) you absolutely need to get some homemade Asian dumplings from the little shop on the premises. The winemaker/owner’s wife makes incredible dumplings. Sansdumplings on IG. Check them out. You will not be disappointed.

1 Like

Mark and Rich, thanks for the suggestions.

Another vote for Heart & Hands.

Thanks to all who replied in this conversation. We did make it to the finger lakes. Unfortunately, Covid has kept a few wineries from fully reopening. One of those only open a few days was Kemmeter. It didn’t fit to our schedule, so apparently we missed out on some great wines and great dumplings. But, it gives us another reason to go back. We had a wonderful time as there are plenty of good wineries, but also so much more to do. We stayed on the water in Watkins Glen, visited Cornell’s gardens in Ithaca and got in some hiking before turning our attention to wine. We didn’t get to many wineries, but our favorites were Hermann Weimer and Red Tail Ridge. My wife and I both enjoyed the dry reislings from Weimer and Red Tail, but the Magdelena bottling from Weimer was a real surprise. Pretty sure that was the most delicious reisling from the US I’ve ever tasted. I also picked up a few cab franc from both.

Greg

2 Likes