Sonoma - Single Thread Farm vs Farmhouse Inn

Both obviously exceptional.

STF is 3* Michelin and $330pp for the tasting menu

Farmhouse is 1* and $120-130pp

Trying to decide if STF is worth the near 3x price or if I’d be pleased with the experience at Farmhouse.

If it were me I’d do the Farmhouse Inn and spend the rest on a great bottle or two off the wine list.

Can’t speak to Farmhouse, but STF is the single best meal I’ve had in a couple of years and is executing at a tremendously high level.

I think there’s a direct parallel to wine. Single Thread ranks as my #2/3 favorite in all of the Bay Area - and I’ve tasted every 2* and 3* with one exception - and the Asian-inflected sensibility is to my taste. Dining here is like paying $$$ for an aged top cuvee of your favorite producer with perfect fill and provenance. Farmhouse is capable, but they’re one of a comparatively broad set of restaurants that execute on that level at that price point. Dining here is like paying $ for a good bottle of 2001 Sociando Mallet. Is it worth a visit if you’re in the neighborhood and looking for a perfectly enjoyable experience at that price point? Yes of course. Is it worth a special trip, and will you reminisce about this dinner for years afterwards? No, probably not

1 Like

I’ve been to both a few times. Farmhouse isn’t even close to playing in the same league as STF.

Been to both. Totally different experiences. Farmhouse, in my opinion, is one of the best bang’s for the buck pairing dinner I’ve ever had - anywhere. Single thread is a special occasion, similar to the French Laundry or Meadowood.

1 Like

we enjoyed staying and dining at Single Thread, little touches like home made ice cream and Pliny in room fridge. Dinner very Asian-inflected as noted above. Beautiful venue.

1 Like