Texas Hill Country - Winery Recommendations

Now I know Texas wine is not one to write home about; however, some of my friends and I would like to make a trip out to Fredericksburg over the 4th of July weekend. I’m curious if any of you have recommendations on solid wineries that may be somewhat appealing to the palate/appreciation for quality wine we find on this forum. All suggestions are appreciated - thanks.

1. William and Chris - variety of fun wines from pet nat to rhone style blends, to malbec. Thoughtful winemaking team aware of worldwide trends
  2. Inwood Estates - higher price per bottle, good wines from tempranillo to bordeaux blends - a little gimmicky with respect to ripeness, but interesting and I’m told they will pair against VERY high end wines to try and make a point. Obviously this would be more costly. I’d reach out ahead to discuss.

Becker Vineyards (owners are friends) also has a beautiful property (hills, lavender fields) to visit off 290 and a tasting room in Fredericksburg proper. The wines are varied and can be found in most grocery stores. A few are interesting but I’d recommend the first two to berserkers.

I live nearby and I have essentially no TX wine in my cellar. But a trip to Fredericksburg is fun and if you can, try to reserve a table at Vaudeville, some serious under the radar fine dining.

1 Like

During my recent trip 3 of my favorites were Williams Chris, Calais and Kuhlman. If you’re into bourbon by chance be sure to swing by Garrison Brothers.

1 Like

Becker and Cruz de Comal are the only Texas wineries still in existence I am aware of that are making wines you could serve blind at a WB gathering and impress at least a few people. The vast majority of the new ones are touristy and trendy- focusing on making people feel fancy for a day and not serious winemaking.

Becker’s whites are very good- especially their Viognier. The Cabs can age and improve for 10-15 years for the reserve bottlings.

Cruz de Comal is the dream of a storied Texas attorney who is committed to finding ideal grape varieties and wine-making techniques to yield high quality unique Texas wines.

Kuhlman Food & Wine experience and Williams Chris. There are other places that are fun to sit and have a sip w/ friends, but those 2 have some of the better wines.

I love what the folks at Southold Farm are doing:

really unique wines that change from year to year. cool setting, new restaurant. Check them out if you’re in the area.