Wining & Dining in Solvang/Santa Ynez/Los Olivos...

We’ll be visiting the area in mid-September. I looked at some of the older threads, but the restaurant world changes pretty quickly, and especially with Covid closures and changes I thought it might be good to get some updated opinions. Any favorites for casual lunches and nicer (doesn’t have to be “fancy”, just very good food and decent wine list) dinners in the Solvang/Santa Ynez/Los Olivos area? We’re planning on Industrial Eats for lunch one day, as it seems to get great recommendations here, but any thoughts on:

Lunch:
Morrell’s
Dos Carlitos
Los Olivos Grocery - Been here and like it for sandwiches…I assume it’s still good?

Dinner:
First & Oak
Toscana
Leonardo’s Cucina Italiana
Gathering Table
SY Kitchen
Mad & Vin
Trattoria Grappolo
Brothers at Red Barn

Also, any winery recommendations for newer producers that I might not be familiar with? We prefer more balanced, food-friendly wines with low oak and alcohol levels. Any help is appreciated.

Marshall, Industrial Eats for lunch in Buelton. Palming for Italian Varietals in Lompoc. I like Joey Tensley’s Wines in Los Olivos.

Hit me up via DM please . . . .as should anyone visiting the area!

Cheers

Certainly tastes vary, but I’ll be the one naysayer on Industrial Eats. I’ve gotten food there several times, and each time I come away disappointed at overly greasy/oily food and undercooked greens. Admittedly the portions are large, so you’re getting your money’s worth in that sense.

As far as lunch/sandwiches go, I’d add Paninos to the list. For dinner Ballard Inn (I guess they’re Gathering Table now) is terrific, and I recall Los Olivos Wine Merchant/Cafe being reliable, though it’s been years since I’ve been.

Lots of choices though; my wife and I were up in the area for the 4th of July weekend and we were surprised at all the new restaurants in Solvang. Several looked worth trying.

Heard good things about Bell’s and on that basis am going this month.

Love Los Olivos! You’ll have a great time.

A couple musts for your trip

Bob’s Well Bread in Ballard is AMAZING breakfast, pasties and coffee.

Knife and Barrel in downtown los olivos has an outdoor Pizza oven they fire up on the weekends that is fantastic. Couple former CIA grads and restauranteurs slinging pies surrounded by great wine. Can’t get better.

In downtown Los Olivos make sure to stop by Holus Bolus and Dragonette.

Peake Ranch if you haven’t been is gorgeous with great wine. It’s tucked away and easily missed.

And of course you have to stop at Tercero!

drive up to ember in arroyo grande.

Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming.

Also, Larry, I tried PMing you back in May, and just tried again yesterday.

I’m a big fan of industrial eats, was great.

It’s been a while, but Ellen’s Danish pancake house is always on my list for breakfast!

We were just there about a month ago. Really enjoyed the Gathering Table.

I was there a couple of weeks ago with my daughter. Excellent.

I’ll be in touch soon . . .

EMBER! By far the best food we ate on our central coast swing.

The los olivos wine merchant is reliable as said before. Food is solid but you’re basically paying retail +$5 for any wine.

I am surprised that the Hitching Post 2 has not been mentioned. The Tavern at Zaca Creek is relatively new and worth a try. Ellies in Santa Ynez is also new. Very creative menu.

Geoff,

Stop by next time you are in town. My tasting room is literally right next to Dragonette . . .

Knife and Barrel does sling some great pizza - the only ‘challenge’ is that you are now required to purchase glasses of wine in order to get the pizza . . .

Cheers.

1 Like

A couple of updates / new places:

Nella’s in Los Olivos for Italian - they’ve taken over the space at the Fess Parker Hotel and the food and service are wonderful, as are the cocktails. Not pasta heavy - they specialize in ‘Roman pizzas’

Bar Le Cote - a new place that has taken over the Sides Hardward space. From the folks at Bell’s in Los Alamos along with the former chef at Fishing With Dynamite in Manhattan Beach; Spanish/Portugese seafood; opening within the next few weeks

Coast Range - another new place in Solvang; took over the old Mandarin Touch space across the park in downtwown; two menus - steakhouse inside and ‘upscale bar food’ along with the steaks outside; reasonably priced cocktails and wines as well; former Michael Mina alumni plus former pastry chef from Bon Temps in DTLA

Sear - another new steakhouse in Solvang; nice setting, great food; pricey but you get what you pay for

Cheers

Larry,

Will do! We happened to find the pizza at Knife and Barrel the first day they were doing pizzas. My wife is a chef and graduated CIA around the same time as they did so there was some major foodie bonding happening. I was mostly just eating the pizza :slight_smile:.

Thanks for the continued input. We’ll be making reservations this weekend!

For what it’s worth, I’m heading to the same area at the end of Sept with some friends. Spending a week there. I’ve been researching wineries and restaurants for a few weeks. I’ve made dinner reservations at the Gathering Table, Sear, Bells and Ember. Ellie’s Tap and Vine looks very interesting, and we will most likely go there as well. When in Santa Barbara, we dine at Bouchon and Toma. Be advised that many are closed Tue/Wed, and most have indoor or outdoor dining options. Not knowing what kind of COVID craziness will be in place when we travel, I’m booking outdoor/patio seating where I can.

For wine tasting, most do not appear all that difficult to reserve a time for tastings. Some are more difficult and are not taking reservations. D’Alfonso-Curran is appointment only, but can’t secure a time yet due them being so small, and harvest kicking off, they can’t commit. Their line up of wines looks very interesting though… Spanish and Italian varietals, in addition to Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.

Paul Lato is appointment only, as is C. Nagy, but both are in the same building so I made appointments with both. Have not tried either, but they both sound too interesting to not try…