NYC for my 40th

Wife and I both turn 40 in December and will be visiting NYC to celebrate. We arrive on my actual bday, which happens to be a Sunday. I know many restaurants are closed on Sunday (Chef’s Table at BF the main restaurant I wanted to try), so looking for suggestions on restaurant open on a Sunday night that would be worthy of a milestone bday. Not sure if it matters, but staying on Central Park.

Thx

Marea is close to Central Park and open.

1 Like

Jean George
The Modern

Based on pre-covid meals.

Atomix
Set a calendar note for 3pm on November 1 and be ready to click quickly.

1 Like

I think Atomix and Marea give you two great options. Marea has as expected a uptown / Central Park South type of vibe. Atomix has a more edgy downtown type of vibe but still very much a 2 star Michelin restaurant. If it were me I would do Atomix. I usually do Marea for a quick bite at the bar. And given the amount of lead time you could email Atomix and tell them it is a special occasion and I am almost sure they would book you. I just did this for a Birthday dinner there. Feel free to mention my name.

2 Likes

Atomix looks awesome, but I just checked their website and it says they don’t accommodate food allergies, so that won’t work as my wife is celiac. Will check some of the other suggestions too

Marea is a great choice, especially at the bar - They have a great wine list, and a fantastic pasta program. The smoked octopus dish is not to be missed. Jean Georges main dining room is generally closed on Sunday’s - their “casual” room Nougatine is open - I wouldn’t consider that 40th Birthday worthy - but it’s great for a drink and lunch. Try their Ginger Margarita, it’s very good if you want something other than wine.

I was a big Marea fan, but right before the pandemic, had a subpar meal and recollect others saying the same; lots of turnover in the kitchen?

Have folks been recently?

I have switched to Ai Fiori, also excellent.

I would shoot them an email.

1 Like

Thanks, just sent a note

I went to Per Se for my 40th and Marea the day after

1 Like

Bernardin and Boulay (currently closed, but may have reopened by the time you are in NY) are my go tos.

Unfortunately PS isn’t open on Sundays

LB was on my list but isn’t open on Sunday :unamused:

Come on guys! You forgot the most important questions:

1. What kind of food do you like?
  2. Do you want to bring your own wine or buy off the list?

They we have the more interesting question. Do you want us to arrange a celebration on one of the days while you are here? Just last weekend, we were talking about a wedding dinner Mikhail arranged for a couple from Detroit at Montrachet about 15 years ago. They were in New York for a day between their wedding and catching a plane to their honeymoon. No one knew who they were but we arranged a dinner for them and one or two people even brought them wedding gifts.

1 Like

Much as I love marea some of their best dishes are the pastas so I’m not sure it’s the best choice for someone with celiac. BUt worth checking if they have gluten free pasta options.

Jungsik is another good choice. Caveat that I haven’t been since before COVID.

Hi Jay - no real preference on cuisine type for the bday other than NOT wanting a big juicy steak. Also, as much as I love NYC sushi, I’m probably going to do that on one of the other nights vs. the bday evening. As far as wine goes, I am planning to bring a few really nice bottles with to NYC, so a spot that allows corkage would be a plus, although not a deal breaker if prohibited.

I’ve heard back from both Atomix and Jua re: gluten allergy and both said there is nothing they can do to accommodate. Going to ask Jungsik the same question today

Looks like Marea does offer GF pasta, although if we dine there, we’ll likely go seafood-heavy. For Italian, I was thinking of trying Rezdora one night

How about some bar/lounge recommendations for a Manhattan or glass of champagne before or after dinner? I was bummed to hear that one of my faves, The Aviary at MO, closed last year. Others that I’ve quite enjoyed in the past at the Baccarat and King Cole at StR (although showing temporarily closed)

Got confirmation from Jungsik that they can accommodate GF (all of the other Korean-influenced restaurants I inquired with said they couldn’t help)