Vienna at Christmas

Anyone been during Christmas? Thinking about heading over to Europe for the holidays and Vienna was floated as a destination. Thanks in advance.

We spent a few days in Vienna right after Christmas a few years ago (we arrived on the 27th). Several markets were still open - and pouring lots of Glühwein. Decorations were still up in the streets and shops and it was very festive. The highlight of our stay, at least from my wife’s perspective, was a gala year end performance at the Spanish Riding School.

We tend to stay home at Christmas, so I don’t have much to compare to, but I’d have no problem spending the holidays in Vienna again.

1 Like

I was gonna recommend the New Year concert, but then I looked at the ticket prices. [rofl.gif]

Not Christmas, but spent a thanksgiving in Vienna in November 2019. The Christmas markets were fantastic - many different venues with different themes and items. Nights at the Opera and “light” Opera. Great dining. Great time to go - we enjoyed our time much better than our previous trip there, which was in May timeframe.

Like Lori, we have been to Vienna in late fall when the Christmas markets were in full swing. It was also snowing sideways, which limited our amount of walking. My cousin has been over New Year for the opera and loved it, except for the cold. Vienna is one of my favorite cities and I’m happy to go there any time, but prefer September when the weather is perfect.

1 Like