Check your OpenTable account

I noticed that 14,000 points vanished from my account. I contacted them. They said the points expire if you don’t have any activity for 12 months. I found a nice way to ask if they had been visiting Jupiter for the last year and a half. They pleasantly offered to restore the points. I asked why I had to request this. Seems they made accommodations for points that aged out but not for the account inactivity. Apparently they are alerting the decision makers that I suggested this was a bozo play.

3 Likes

Ah, thanks for this - I had just noticed the same thing happened to my account.

Priceline bought OpenTable. One company does not have the strong ethics for customer service, in my opinion and factual experience.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2862531#p2862531

Thanks so much for posting this. I had over 24k point which had expired. I was just able to go in and get them redeemed. It was very easy to do, although I wish they had just done this automatically rather than require that you request it.

same here.

here’s a direct contact link. choose live chat (click upper right contact us if it doesn’t show up in red lower right). takes 2 minutes.

https://help.opentable.com/s/contactsupport?language=en_US

3 Likes

Thanks folks. My wife had mentioned that we lost our points. I gave her the heads up and sent her the link. We got the points back, plus 100 extra for our trouble.

Thanks for sharing. I just lost about 20,000 points. Clicked through to request they be returned.

Thanks. I noticed some time ago and figured they were lost. They were very easy to request and get back by following the link above.

Yup, they screwed alot of folks during Covid by expiring points. They gave me some points back, but I’m done with them. I have one reward to use and I’m closing my account. Fuсk OpenTable.

+1 that called and gave them shit for zeroing accounts without even a notice email that points were expiring.

It’s been years since I cashed in for a gift certificate. Looks like they’ve cut value in half for redemption. For those with knowledge here, any tips for redeeming 10k+ points?

I angry tweeted them and they fixed it quick. Respectable companies send an email warning you they are expiring at least. Seems to me that Resy is starting to eat their lunch in any case.

OpenTable did not let me redeem points 3 YRS ago and they expired without me realizing it… I would redeem the gift certificate, but I would never receive it… and the points expired. I wasn’t 100% this actually happened… until it happened again a few months ago. I tried to redeem my gift certificate but I never received it. I emailed CS and they said they would fix it. Never heard back and then my points expired. Then they shut down customer service (if you go the website, there is no more contact customer service/phone number/chat… they are ‘busy’ or “sorry no other ways of reaching customer service” as you run through the menu options). I finally emailed their B2B relations (those who deal with restaurants) who reinstated the points and told me it was a favor for me because points expire if you don’t make reservations (they ignored my inability to redeem points and the fact I make weekly reservations).

I wonder if there are grounds for a class action lawsuit. The pattern of behavior: not allowing for point redemptions, blocking access to customer service, not fixing what I suspected is a multi-year systemwide problem… seems off. It’s a public market cap with a large cap that made their owners rich, so I’m perplexed why they go down this path… but it still strikes me as a potential lawsuit for an ambulance chaser to get paid out on.

I now assume OpenTable points are worthless, but I still use the service. I dislike Resy’s interface: you cannot search by time or what is available… you have to play whack-a-amole on a map to figure out what is even available as they list every restaurant (without being able to filter for time, food type or availability). I am seeing more restaurants using other 3rd party services, like Tock or 7. This is not a great outcome for the user… it is great to just go onto one platform/OpenTable and see options in an area… now you need to need to go to restaurant websits directly or check 3-4 reservation platforms to get a sense of availability. But this can be a good thing sometimes, as I find non-OpenTable restaurants can have a lot more availability.

That is the PriceLine model for customer service. See my link above.

27,400 points restored. TY!

Thanks a lot for this heads up.