PORTLAND! Wine Bars, New Restuarants

Will be in PDX for the first time in 2 years next week. Would love to hear some recs on anything new…

Not sure where you have been in the past or if there’s any specific type of food you’re looking for, but my absolute favorites are Coquine, Davenport, Laurelhurst Market, Le Pigeon, Mucca Osteria, and Paley’s Place. I have heard good things about Arden and Nomad, but haven’t been to either yet. There are lots of other neighborhood or casual options, too depending on your needs. Most of the new openings since Covid have been carts and more casual places and some places haven’t opened fully or are on limited menus, so it’s best to check with them. Feel free to PM if you need more suggestions.

Gado Gado is excellent (south east asian, lots of seafood) as is Le Pigeon’s informal sister Canard

Seconding Coquine - you have to try their cookies

Then there’s HunnyMilk for brunch (everything’s a donut!), and also Malka (wild with very strong flavors)

Check for AC.

Our favorite new place is Eem. Not a bad thing on their menu. Recommend the burnt brisket ends, lamb shoulder, crispy pork, fried rice and green Papaya salad. It’s very casual and must like spice. Best drink menu is Pix Patisserie. Small plates and desserts. Not a new place. They are are starting to show classic old movies. You will need reservations for that.

Big fan of the cocktails at Eem. Just so you know Bobby I find their spice level tolerable but punishing, and I grew up in Southeast Asia

Depending on the wine tasting experience you are looking for, I have some different recommendations: if you want to taste a variety of Oregon pinots- Oregon Wines on Broadway; some Oregon and library wines-Park Avenue Wines (https://www.parkavenuewines.com/wine-bar); more obscure wines from around the world- Stem on Mississippi or Les Caves & Le Clos (limited seating) on Alberta. Because of COVID, I would call before venturing out to confirm store hours and protocols. Coquine is only doing take out, but you can order food and eat on their patio. The seating is limited.

Would love to hear about your dining/tasting experiences in Portland. Cheers!

Per Coquine’s website, the dining room has reopened. Unfortunately, Coquine will be closed for summer break when we are in town next week.

James

James,

If Arden is open when you’re in town, definitely go! Same for St Jack.

The biggest thing is to be sure of what is and isn’t open as that seems to change on a weekly basis

1 Like

My SO shared the news about Coquine last night. We’ve been going to Coquine for a number of years, so I was deflated. She mentioned a French restaurant that had received some great reviews along with Le Pigeon and Canard as waiting list options. I did not catch the name of the French restaurant, but I will take note of Arden and St Jack. Thanks for the recommendations!

James