Barcelona and the Pyrenees

Going to be in southern France in June of 2022, then headed over to Barcelona. Will be renting a car, anyone have any good places to stop in Andorra or somewhere else in the Pyrenees?

I had a great couple of stops in some of the Spanish Paradores, some like Vielha are modern and look like a Bond villain’s hideaway, others like Cardona are older and quirkier.

Not sure of your route but we drove from Barcelona to San Sebastian and stopped in Carcassonne. Cool city. We stayed here which was very nice and walkable to the city. Michelin 2** restaurant also.

George

1 Like

Cherry festival in Ceret is great. They also have a cool art museum.
Castelnou would be a fairy tale, but sleepy option.

All look incredible… wondering if it is worth stopping by Andorra, since it is quite commercialized. I have to plot a route since we will be coming from the Burgundy region

Stop about midway for rustic Basque lunch and the great views all around you at Puigcerda.

A few places we’ve tried - although it’s been some time:

Chateau de Riell Château de Riell | 5 Star Hotel in Molitg les Bains | Official Site
El Castell de Ciutat Restaurant Tàpies, Gourmet restaurant in the mountains, La Seu d’Urgell – Relais & Châteaux (whitewater course from Barcelona Olympics is nearby)
Torre de Visco https://torredelvisco.com/ maybe too far south for you

Monastery at St Michel de Cuxa Abbaye Saint Michel de Cuxa

This is going to be a must… Reminds me when my son used to watch Thomas the Tank Engine

San Sebastian? Thoughts?

A work buddy stated that he was disappointed with Barcelona but yet loved San Sebastian. Also heard of a good spot south of Barcelona as a base, Stiges, 17 beaches, sounds amazing

champagne.gif

We loved Barcelona and San Sebastián. But very different cities.

The old Cathar castles near tautavel and peyrepertuse are super cool to see. Can visit mas amiel in Maury too and see the wine sitting in the sun. Carcassonne is nice but more rebuilt than the Cathar castles. Great cassoulet in Castelnaudry (where they claim to have invented it).

San Sebastian, check out St Jean de Luz if coming down from Bordeaux (over Biarritz)

San Sebastian is high on the list of best places to vacation for a couple of days.

we took a trip from Lisbon to San Sebastian.
Stayed in Santiago de Compostela, Santander and San Sebastian.
Loved Santander and San Sebastian (second trip to San Sebastian)
Just south of San Sebastian is Casa Julian in Tolosa- great grilled chuleton and fantastic red peppers
We had lunch at Asador Etxebarri twice which is amazing and worthy of a trip.

Different cities. For more of a laid back vibe with great food go to San Sebastian (and agree Etxebarri is worth the drive), a few small museums, a church, etc. Barcelona is a great city with lots of night life, entertainment, museums, historic buildings, etc.

This.

San Sebastian is great food city, one of the greatest in the world. But Barcelona is more fun, with plenty of great foodie things to do, too.

Changed up my itinerary a bit. Traveling on Saturday from Lyon area to Villefranche de Conflent for two overnights, since many places are closed on Sunday.

Then train from Villefrance via the yellow train to Pugicerda on Monday and then onto Vic for a rental car and then travel around until Wednesday and stay at Sitges.

Lyon, FR > Perpignan, FR > Villefranche De Conflent, FR > Pugicerda, ES > Vic , ES

Nice
Villefranche is really cute. We’ve never done the petit choo choo so please report.

Scott,
Did you stay in Villefranche or just a day trip?

Day trips on several occasions