North Georgia Wineries

In case you don’t know, an hour north of Atlanta is ~45 wineries spreading across the lower Appalachian mountains.

I know this sound improbable, but it’s a truly remarkable transformative story that dates back to the mid 1980’s when race car builder Jeff Panoz and his wife bought the property and started a winery called Chateau Elan. There may have been others that started before Chateau Elan, but the Panoz’s really put wine growing in this region on the map. Since that time a burgeoning wine industry has transformed an entire region, bringing huge investment dollars and enthusiasts willing to test the waters. The days of ‘Deliverance’ are long since gone!

I first started visiting these wineries back in 2008 when my wife and a few neighbors attended the North Georgia Wine Festival just outside Helen GA. Back then you had to search hard to find a wine that was drinkable. However, given the gorgeous settings and friendly atmosphere that seemed less important, so we enthusiastically kept exploring year-after-year. Today, there are more wineries than ever and the wines (White and Red) have vastly improved. Most wineries ship grapes from California or Italy to supplement what is grown on estate. Their offerings are clearly labeled, so you know whether you’re drinking a California/Georgia blend or strictly an estate wine. The settings for some of these wineries are simply spectacular and even though the region has been completely transformed there’s still an air of country hospitality, which I hope never goes away.

If you ever travel to Atlanta I highly recommend you go visit the north Georgia wine region - you won’t be disappointed.

Disclaimer: I’m not with the Georgia Chamber of Commerce, nor do I have any financial relationship with any wineries.

I have found the Elan wines to be really bad in the past.
Sounds like I might need to revisit.

While I’m with Dave on the fact that there are several wineries in north Georgia that are generally making a valiant effort, I have not heard anything that would suggest a revisit to Elan is warranted (though I haven’t actually had their wines in years, either).

A 2017 Noble Wine Cellar Petit Manseng (grown right over the border in N Carolina) I had a few times over the past couple years was noteworthy, and the winemaker there is putting in the work to do things right. The soil may be good, but the risks of mildew/frost are really rough on these growers. Their tasting room is currently closed I believe (remodeling? COVID? not sure).

I like what they have done at Tiger in Tiger GA. Their Petit Manseng is surprising and delicious. Not sure if they are open right now. Near Dahlonega you have Wolf Mountain (run by Karl and Linda Boegner. They are in my Chene des Rotisseurs group. Wonderful hosts.), Frog Town and Three Sisters. Some nice reds. You would have to taste to really see if it is your liking. Nice take on Chateau Elan here. Appreciate the heads up. In the past, I haven’t really enjoyed the wines.