Nairobi Restaurant Recommendations

Probably not looking for a top wine spot here, but wondering if anyone had a great experience in Nairobi? The last time I was there (1998, as a child) we went to Carnivore. Wondering if it’s worth going or if there’s somewhere better.

My info on Nairobi is over ten years old now (so not as old as yours, but I assume a lot has changed). By the time we were there Carnivore seemed tired and not very good – more touristy and novel than anything else. There was a great seafood restaurant called Seven. They were both at the ABC Shopping Center and Village Market. There were some excellent Ethiopian and Indian restaurants, though I am not remembering specifics. And a great pan Asian restaurant – something Garden.

Wine is either terrible or way overpriced. Since we lived there for a few years we would pay some of the prices, but if I were visiting I would not get my hopes up. There was a fancy wine bar in the Junction Mall – which may or may not still be there. But again as a visitor not sure I would seek it out.

Sorry I could not be more helpful. Enjoy the trip!

1 Like

Thanks Rob, sadly “when I was there x decades ago” seems to be the norm haha. Appreciate the info, will do some more digging online to see what I can find.

Heading there in 4 weeks but will only be in Nairobi for a couple of nights. Did you have any luck finding something good?

Just did a little more digging around. Zen Garden was the good pan Asian place we liked – and it looks like it is still there. About Thyme was a good place for lunch or dinner. Seven appears to still exist. And lastly Haandi was one of the best Indian restaurants in town at the time. Seven would probably the nicest/fanciest of these. Zen Garden is also quite nice. My memory is that About Thyme is quite nice too, but admittedly I dont have as clear a memory of it as I do of Seven and Zen Garden. The other thing to think about are some of the fancy hotel restaurants. The Fairmount Norfolk is an old colonial hotel. Not much of the feel for the real Nairobi. My memory is the food is a bit overpriced for what it is. Tribe Hotel is a bit more chic. The food was pretty good as I recall, but also perhaps a bit overpriced. There may be a few others that have come online since I was last there.

Curious to hear what people find who go these days. I am not sure I will ever be back given some of the work I did there, but I still keep in touch with friends and colleagues there so perhaps, if the political situation changes, I might visit again.

I’ve had some very good meals at the Sankara hotel. But the best meals were at private clubs - if you know someone who has a membership!