Provence this weekend; anything I’ve missed?

I had posted a while back about a grand road trip from Provence to Paris. Unfortunately I couldn’t get it all together so I had to break into two trips. Paris earlier this month and Provence this weekend and I’m pretty excited for the trip. This will be my second visit and focusing a little more on the western side. I’ve received some good tips from this group and wanted to make sure I’m not missing anything.

Thursday arrival in Marseille then picking up the rental car and heading to Menerbes for dinner at La Bastide. Lots of good comments on this place, seems like a good spot for my first dinner in the evening. Overnight here.

Friday morning getting up and making my way to Gigondas for lunch at l’Oustalat. Another place with lots of great recommendations. Leisurely lunch then a little exploring before moving on to St. Remy. I have a 1730 time slot at Carrieres des Lumieres and then am thinking of maybe later dinner at Bistro du Paradou. I still need to make a reservation, just don’t want to kill myself that day with two big meals. I’ll overnight in St Remy.

Saturday morning get up early to see Pont du Gard and then on to Uzes. No plans, just exploring. I’ll make my way back to Avignon for a late lunch at La Mirande. I was hoping to do their special dinner in the basement, but all full. After lunch explore Avignon. I still need a dinner for Saturday night, but ideally something lighter. Anyone have a favorite wine bar? Overnight in St Remy.

Sunday morning get up and make my way to Arles. I’ll spend the day exploring there, just need an idea for Sunday lunch. Later in the day make my way back to Marseille for a 2000 flight home.

Anyone have any suggestions for things I should consider? Anything I’ve missed?

Looking forward to some sun and nice weather this weekend!

Near the Avignon palace is Le Carré du Palais. Great bistro/wine bar. We also liked Vinotage, a barge on the river by the west entrance to Avignon.

1 Like

if this is for this weekend, and sunday is tomorrow, and you still need a lunch option in arles…try Le Galoubet…werent the most friendly but the food was excellent and was a nice place to eat lunch outside on their small terrace.

id like to know your opinion bastide de marie in menerbes…wanted to like it more than i did. also couldnt really drink as much as wouldve liked since you have to dry through those farm tracks to get back to st remy.

Sadly I saw this one day too late! I actually almost went to Le Galoubet, it was that or Chardon. I ended up with Chardon and had a nice lunch, not change the world great, but nice. It’s one of those places that bring in chefs for a 2-3 month stint and let them try their concept. I love that idea, always something new. The team right now is focused on natural wines and that really isn’t my thing so that probably influenced my experience.

As for La Bastide de Marie, I actually really loved it. The overall experience was awesome. Like you, I still had to drive after dinner so that limited the overall experience but I still had a great time. I’ll write it all up in a little trip report.