Germany/Austria Christmas Markets Etc.

I have a bunch of international upgrades that are going to expire in early-ish 2022, so I was thinking of taking the family (wife and two kids, 8 and 6) over to Germany and maybe Austria this winter to see the sights and see some Christmas markets. I’ve been to both countries, albeit not for a while. But for anyone who has done this or anything similar, I’d love to hear recommendations of cities to visit and anything else. We would consider skiing while over there but probably won’t do it. Thanks!

Maybe this will help. I can vouch for Budapest back in the day. We will be there again for Christmas market in 2023 along with several others in Austria and Germany. We have booked the 14 day Grand European river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam on Viking River Cruises for that year. Do note the start days for these markets. Some open later than others. Have a great trip. It will be cool to cold but not unbearable.

Supposedly the best Christmas market is in strasbourg. I lived in Vienna for several years and can vouch for their Christmas market.

Alsace.

Big scale at Strasbourg, smaller but more quaint village-market at Riquewihr.

The most famous Christmas Market in Germany is in Nuremberg. I don’t know how it compares to Strasbourg.