NYC Pizza- Bring out your BEST!!

Some of us West Coasters are coming out for a pizza crawl October 21-23. Looking for any and all recommendations for the best overall pizza in the area, so all styles are in the mix. Three days in three different areas so all places are possible. NYC Pizza deserves it’s own thread, so bring out your best!! [berserker.gif] [berserker.gif]

Prince Street pepperoni square

Did I miss my invite?

Really depends there is a lot of ground to cover.

OG NYC:
DiFara-but opinions vary
L&B Spumoni Gardens
Mario’s Arthur Ave
but there are so many more

Modern:
Ops
Paulie Gee’s

Here is a recent Eater List:

There is a lot of good stuff in Brooklyn.

Lots of good Neapolitan stuff in Manhattan.

Joe’s- amazing at both the locations I go to (and I’m going to try the third)

NY Pizza Suprema 8th and 31st or so. I often choose this place for my second stop (Joe’s is more convenient).

New Park Pizza- cross bay blvd and 157th ave
great and it’s on the way to JFK so you can squeeze in another slice! And one of my favorites regardless of location.

I’ve been to the others, I prefer these (distance issues considered).

If you are flying into Newark, Santillos is a must stop, cash only and no tables

1 Like

Check out Dave Portnoy, barstool sports, he does Pizza reviews, and his NY reviews are very amusing to watch. Check it.

Lombardi’s and Grimaldi’s are the two “must hit” NYC pizza places IMO

No kudos for Famous Ray’s, or Ray’s Famous, or whatever?

newhere

In mid-Manhattan for some good, thin, Roman-style pizza and other delicious Italian goodies, go to Marta. Receptive and welcoming to byob-corkaged bottles, even with the good wine list.

There are countless similar-looking walk-in counter-displayed pizza places in NYC, but some can stand out. If near Madison Sq Grarden / Penn Station area, which is a foodie wasteland by our local standard, NY Pizza Suprema is worth walking in and grabbing a couple of slices before quickly moving on and out of the neighborhood. Pizza are that good, enough to make you linger on to try a 3rd slice of something else.

Is New Haven one of those 3 areas? not a bad drive

John’s of Bleeker makes an amazing pie.

Chris,

I wildly disagree with this. Santillo’s is worth it if you want to interact with a true character along the lines of Seinfeld’s Soup Nazi. But the pizza is literally awful. The sauce is way too sweet and ladled on with a heavy hand. And he uses way too much cheese as well. Each slice is a belly bomb.

I’ve watched many Portnoy pizza reviews. It’s amazing how consistently he gets it wrong. Entertaining? Yes. Valuable for determining which pizza to try? No.

2 Likes

I’d be hitting up the following:

Lucali - Brooklyn (good luck getting in)
Scarr’s - Manhattan LES
Ops - Brooklyn

I’d add the Pasquale Jones clam pie to this list.

1 Like

[popcorn.gif] [berserker.gif]

Ops, Ops and Ops.

DiFara’s is my all time favorite pizza but keep in mind Dom is no longer making the pizza.

Una is rumored to be reopening in October if they are I would add them.

1 Like

I don’t live that far away. I’d gladly go with any berserker just to see their reaction

Side note…if you’re flying into Newark it’s definitely worth it to go to Razza in Jersey City.

Not to bash Santillo’s any further…but if you tried a pizza from Razza and Santillo’s blindfolded and side by side, you’d be hard pressed to say they were both pizza.

Lucali and Razza are my go to places. I don’t understand the continued love for DiFara. Back in the day there were lot of bad pizza places so DiFara stood out but these days there are so many better pizzas.

Two hours from Grand Central via MetroNorth.

Pepe’s is my favorite.