Portugal itinerary?

Hi! I know there are a number of Portugal experts on the board…
I am starting to sketch out a 2022 trip. I will have a mere six nights (small children at home) and am homing in on flying to Lisbon, and then spending 2 nights in Porto, 2 nights somewhere in the Douro near Pinhao and 2 nights in Evora. How does that sound? I am open to any suggestions.
My interests are: wine, food, nice lodging, hiking, bike riding, and just seeing new things. I realize this itinerary leaves out Lisbon altogether, but with only six nights I’m inclined to focus on more manageable cities and small towns. I’m very much a small town/village enthusiast.
Thanks!

If you can arrange to be in Porto for the Festa de São João on June 23, do it. We were there a couple of years ago (without advanced knowledge of the festival) and it may have been the most fun that I’ve ever had on a trip. Best to get there in the 22nd and park your car

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festa_de_São_João_do_Porto

Stayed here in the Douro region. Magical.

I really enjoyed Sintra from a historical perspective.

George

1 Like

Thanks, guys. Looks like Pinhao (or Lamego?) to Evora is more driving than I want in one day, so will look to break up the drive with a night in Coimbra.
The question I’m wrestling with is how to allocate 6 nights over four stops. (Porto>Douro Valley>Coimbra>Evora)

Spending a day or two in Madera is worth it. Madera is a short plane ride and a very unique place.

The distances in Portugal can be far and in the case of the Douro region remote with little infrastructure. You might have to drive 20 miles or more just to find a bridge over the river. It’s a beautiful country and somewhat of a hidden gem. It shouldn’t be hurried. Cut back rather than rush.

I would reach out to Ryan Opaz at Catavino who is an American expat and let him help you with the logistics.

If you can wait until fall, Roy Hersh from the FTLOP website does amazing wine tours.

Nothing is close or quick in the Douro as it is a very mountainous area with a large river bisecting it and few ways to drive across it. If it looks close on a map, add 20-30 minutes of driving to what you think. Staying in Pinhao is a good place to stay if you want a more traditional little town. If you do I recommend Quinta de la Rosa. If not then stay in Regua as it a far larger town and is closer to other areas.

Quinta Nova is a nice place, but it is a 30+ minute drive just to Pinhao. It is not geographically nice unless you are either staying on property or are only going somewhere close by.

Lamego is far from Pinhao (45+ min drive). Depending on where in the Douro you want to go/see, It will be easier to go Evora to Pinhao, as that’s the shorter eastern route north on the E802. However to Lamego you’d want the western route up the E1 and E801, which is longer mileage wise.

What are you looking to do in the Douro? Are there places like Quinta’s there you want to see? That info is needed before I could give you better advice.

Why fly into Lisbon if not staying there? Are you going to Evora first? Why not fly into Porto?

In Porto, I recently visited the World of Wine (WOW). Wasn’t expecting much, but it was terrific! I could spend a whole day just there. If interested in learning about Port, visit a couple of Port bars. Vini Bacchus and LADO Lagar D’ouro. Both specializing in small houses. Both on or by the Porto side Ribeira.

We stayed at Casa Do Visconde de Chanceleiros in Pinhao, it was awesome. Not sure if Ursula, the woman that ran it, is still around but she made the most amazing dinner every night

Thanks for all of these responses. This trip was bumped until 2023, but all of these tips and suggestions will be equally relevant than. As to why fly into Lisbon if going to Porto first–there are very inexpensive nonstop DC-Lisbon flights that I planned to take advantage of.

If you only have 6 days, you’ll waste half of one getting to Porto from Lisbon.

1 Like