Vienna restaurants

I’m going to be there over the holidays and would welcome any restaurant reccos, from casual to at least one ‘fancy’ where the kids and I can get all decked out. Thanks in advance

2 Likes

Steiereck is the fanciest restaurant in Vienna and very good, if also very pricey.

Hotel Restaurant Sacher has a very classic dining experience. The locally raised lamb is superb.

Demel’s is great for desserts and light meals.

I’m sure a lot of the local places I used to go to when I lived there 15 or so years ago are gone, but the last time I went was about 5 years ago and these places were going strong.

I think the Christmas market at the Rathaus (city hall) is the best, but the schonnbrun one is fun.

1 Like

Funny, I just booked Christmas dinner at that hotel (Restaurant Rote Bar) because it looked like it fit the traditional/fancy bill for us - and got decent reviews.

We’ll check out the markets!

Check out the Vienna Woods - Weinerwald - the wine region west of the city. Lots of cute, rustic dining options. We dined there and highly enjoyed it.

1 Like

We enjoyed Ulrich (just west of the Museum Quartier on Burggasse) for a casual meal. Also, for when you tire of schnitzel, Il Sestante (on Piarestengasse) for pizza and other Italian food.

We used to go to a little northern Italian place called Venezia near stephensplatz, no idea if it’s still there.

If you are looking for a splurge type fancy Michelin dinner, restaurant Silvio Nickol in the Palais Coburg is tremendous. One of my top 10 dining experiences in my lifetime. Expect a long meal if you go. We loved it.

1 Like

palais coburg is worth a visit simply to admire their incredibly deep wine list filled with well aged and fairly priced austrian bottles…

Hmmm. Maybe the wife and I need to ditch the brats one night (they can go hunt for Austrian boys) and go to Nickol’s

1 Like

__Was there is 2015
Here is where we ate

Weinfach Vinothek & Bar Weinfach.at – Wir versorgen Sie mit Infos zu Essen und Trinken
Winebar with small plates and Charcuterie
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g190454-d6570774-Reviews-Weinfach_Vinothek_Bar-Vienna.html
Taborstrasse 11a, Vienna 1020, Austria
Tue - Sat 5pm - 10pm
+43 660 126 26 39

Friday
Zumfinsterenstern http://zumfinsterenstern.at/ eat outside No menu on site but gets good reviews
Nice outdoor setting with constant carriages rattling by over the cobblestones added to the ambience
Vienna 1 Schulhof 8, 1010 Wien, Austria

• 43-1-535 21 00 Must call for reservations Reservations Closed Sunday And Monday
    Zum Finsteren Stern is offering a six-course tasting menu for Euro 52, which is slightly more but worth every cent.

Saturday
EF16 Gashaus and Weinbar
Fleischmarkt16, Vienna
Went for a birthday meal
http://top-restaurant-ef16.at/53/en/meals-beverages Menu
http://top-restaurant-ef16.at/?&wslanguage=en
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g190454-d714222-Reviews-EF_16_Restaurant_Weinbar-Vienna.html Trip Advisor reviews
Tel: +43 1 5132318 - mail (link) : office@ef16.at
Opening times: Monday-Sunday from 17:30 - 23:30 clock
Made reservation on line for 7:30 on Saturday September 5th
Reservation # through Quandoo 3163309

Sunday
Servitenwirt Nice outdoor dining setting
Servitengasse 7, 1090 Vienna

Mon - Sun 10-24 clock
by telephone on +43 1315 23 87
digitally via email to office@servitenwirt.at
appended or via contact form below

Monday
Restaurant Konstantin Filippou Michelin 1 * Best meal we had
Dominikanerbastei 17, 1010 Wien
Tel: +43 1 5122229, Fax: +43 1 5122329

1 Like

Thanks everyone!

A little bit modern, a lot delicious, great local wine list, not expensive:

MAST

2 Likes

Matt, thanks for mentioning MAST. For the life of me I could not think of the name. It was our favorite restaurant during our stay in Vienna a couple of years ago and that included a couple of bigger names. Loved the fact that it is a wine bar with awesome food and fantastic friendly service.

For Paul, if you are considering going to MAST, it is a bit out of the center but easy to get to, the tram line lets you off a stones throw away.

Tom

2 Likes

We had planned to go next summer but might delay until 23.
Please post notes.

Had planned on MAST, EF16, and Steirereck

1 Like

I’ll let you know where we go.

I could spend some serious time working my way through the MAST wine list.

1 Like

One great thing about MAST’s wine list: it has a nice by-the-glass selection, so you can choose a bottle for your mains, but also get a great match for other courses BTG.

Tom is correct, MAST is a good 20 minutes walk from the Schotten ring. You can direct such a walk down embassy row, specifically those of US and Sweden and make it a little more scenic. More to the point, Vienna is my second favorite city in which to randomly walk about.

I’d also add that Vienna is a great city for ‘street food’. And for all of the indoor activities (StaatsOper, KammerOper, KunstH Museum, Burg Theater, VPO) if the weather is fine I always save some time for strolling about in the evening. By street food, I also mean restaurants with large, open air seating as well as all the schnellimbiss and würstl. Fleischmarkt is a good walk, the streets branching off MariaHilfer are others for ‘street food’. My favorite würstl is Zm scharfen René, just off Kärntner ring, but Bitzinger is really good and convenient, perhaps too convenient. Judging by the enormous German-speaking crowds, one of most echt Austrian things to do is eat ice cream at Castelletto in Schwedenplatz.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I wish I’d known when we were there in 2018. It’s literally two block from our apartment.

1 Like

We were there in Dec 2019 so a little dated and check updates due to COViD closures:

Steiereck for high end - hubby loved it, I was less impressed. But their apple dessert was probably one of my favorites.

A few more casual favorites:
Labstelle - for dinner
Cantinetta Antinori - for dinner
At Eight - for lunch
Glasweisse - after the Volksoper
Demels - for an afternoon snack

Some of the best Christmas Markets - each area of the city has its own flavor
Was disappointed in the Naschmarkt - not enough variety and a lot of similar offerings

1 Like

Austria’s Covid cases are spiking badly. Yikes