Baton Rouge recs for food and drink

Heading with a few friends to Baton Rouge to see my friends son and the LSU tigers play Florida. Any recommendations on good restaurants or watering holes? My group is not wine savvy, so I’m good with cocktails/beer and great food. I’m sure there are plenty of good places to drink and watch a game on TV but wondering if any place really does the food right.

Thanks in advance

Greg

Hit The Chimes

Head over to Breaux Bridge and get some boudin from Best Stop, Billy’s, Poche’s, or Herbert’s. Then head over to Atchafalaya Basin Landing Airboat Swamp Tours.

My other advice is to go to the game–then head to NOLA for the rest of the trip.

It has been ten+ years since I was there, so that caveat. But Chimes was the quintessential college bar that delivered: great bartenders, great beer selection, good pub grub. Saw Leon Redbone show there that was off the hook. Swear he took breaks every 30 minutes and came back with a powdered mustache but played the entire repertoire and several covers. Didn’t miss a lick. Never had better onion rings than at Mike Anderson’s. An LSU football institution that will be energized for the weekend. There were a lot of wannabes but Jubans and Maison Lacour always delivered. Not sure if it survived but the Galatoires outpost was consistently disappointing. I’m sure there is a lot of new faces worth trying.

It’s been a couple of years but locals took us to Parrain’s Seafood and everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meals.

I used to prepare for depositions at the bar of Louisiana Lagniappe, which felt totally local but also had tasty steaks and seafood. Fun place. Was recommended to me by the nice hotel I stayed at.

That said, it’s not that close to LSU and if you’re going to the game I’d go somewhere college-y. I’m no help in that regard.

Get a corn dog

Mansur’s on the Blvd
Parrain Seafood
Jubans
Dragos- chargrilled oyster and seafood spot from Metairie opened a location in BR
Ruth’s Chris

Thank you for all the recs! We actually did takeout at Mike Anderson’s since it was so close to the stadium and the house where we were partying after. Some excellent quality local fare, with good preparation and ingredients. The game was a ball, first time at Death Valley and boy do they love their football there!!! I’ll be back to try some of these other spots.

Good call on Mike Anderson’s, a BR mainstay for many many years. You picked a great game and great upset for your first visit.

Geaux Tigers!

1 Like

Glad you liked it. Did you try the onion rings?

Yes absolutely. They were the best I’ve ever had too, great call. We also had hush puppies, fried gator (of course to celebrate beating FL), chicken and andouille sausage gumbo, crawfish etouffee, and black drum. Would highly recommend to anyone going to see a game at the stadium.