Anything good to see in Gatlinburg, TN?

Heading up in the RV for a few days. First time. Mostly just planning some R&R, but wondered if there’s anywhere worth visiting either on the wine front or elsewhere? Lots of wineries, but anyone making anything drinkable?

I now head to Bryson City instead of Gatlinburg. Gatlinburg is Myrtle Beach in the mountains. For hikes, I love Charlies Bunion. It is a long hike from Clingmans Dome (four miles each way), but takes you over Thunderhead bald and Rocky Top Mountain too. If it’s not too late to change locations, I like Hot Springs or Bryson City way more than Gatlinburg. I’d also recommend for hiking Big Bald by Wolf Ridge Ski Resort and Max Patch bald on the AT.

As an East TN native, there’s nothing relaxing about Gatlinburg, especially during this time of the year. Too much traffic for the fall foliage.

The weekend weather looks great in Charleston. Go there.

Or as Josh recommends, there are better options for the mountains in NC. I’ve enjoyed trips to Brevard.

Back to Gatlinburg, there’s really nothing on the wine front unless something has changed in recent years. Wine retail or boutique wine bars or shops are a wasteland due to archaic state regulations.

On a positive note, I’m sure that the Gatlinburg folks could benefit from the visit as they continue to recover from the wildfires.

I’m only commenting because you say you’ve never been. It’s clearly a popular place and my parents told me for years that I had to check it out. My wife and I drove down for a long weekend without any idea what it was. We got caught in a traffic jam for a half hour in the middle of a circus of the worst kind. Turned right around and drove to Virginia where there aren’t so many people.

No.

George

1 Like

Having been there I would say it’s like a few other places in the US that you may be familiar with.

Wisconsin Dells
South of the Border
Lake of the Ozarks - Osage Beach
Branson
Wally World

In other words, a tourist hell.

We are in Nashville and made the obligatory visit (two really) to Gatlinburg when the kids were young for long weekends…loved the mini golf, candy shops, etc. Harmless fun. Nice drives in the mountains.

Above said, last time was probably six or seven years ago and won’t go back…way too crowded.