Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

Hi all

Heading to Paris this week with the family. Staying at the park Hyatt for one period and the 6th (Airbnb) for the second half

Any recs for local spots in those two neighborhoods that don’t need a reservation and family friendly?

Lunch/dinner

Thanks!

lunch at Le Comptoir du Relais Saint-Germain is a must. very casual, stand in line for a table. it will also be one of the best meals of your trip.

2 Likes

def on the list - enjoyed it last time we went and it’s close to our airbnb

After a job in Paris many years ago, the local producer, who was a foodie and knew all the cool hipster spots, took us to Le Relais de l’Entrecôte - kinda a high end chain, touristy spot. He had this mischivious smile on his face as our misgivings and preconceptions melted away - we were actually very impressed with the steak frites (which is all they serve). He said it was a spot he often took customers to to put everything on its head when it comes to expectations. Great steak frites, if you don’t mind looking like a tourist.

I think it’s in the 1st.

1 Like

Tag. Going in a month. :heart:

1 Like

Freddy’s at rue de Seine (6th).
Walk in encouraged, fun food choices for everyone and + for the good wine list btg.

clamato another no brainer, but likely on your list already.

The restaurant at Hotel Costes is always my first stop.

Septime La Cave (the wine shop and charcuterie across from Septime) is always nice for an afternoon snack as well.

We were in Paris right before Covid shut everything down and stayed close to Le Comptoir as well. We discovered they are now open all day. I don’t recall that from previous visits but I may be mistaken. We were exhausted the first night after our flight so ate there for an early dinner. Maybe around 5:00 or so. Sat outside and pretty much had the place to ourselves. Food was great. It’s game season so they probably have livre a la royale which I enjoy but it’s not for everyone. Then back to the hotel and to bed fairly early.

1 Like

Just got back from the Park Hyatt in Paris 2 weeks ago. First time we stayed there and liked it but I think we prefer the 6th. That being said.

Les Bon Georges is awesome. Kids would be just fine. Walkable. Great list. Bistro Parisien - Le bon Georges - Produits maraichers - Vins de propriétés

Not walkable but also casual with an even better list. Le Petit Sommelier / Traditional Restaurant / Paris
Not walkable but would work. Really cheap Raveneau. Redirecting...

Le Comptoir was mentioned had a good lunch there. It is pretty packed in though and there is usually a line. List is tiny. Not as good as it was precovid.

For a fancier 1* meal where the kids would be OK http://lesclimats.fr Obviously Burgundy focused list. Took my kids there when they were a little older than yours.

FYI - we did make reservations but were there on a weekend. Most everywhere in Paris was pretty crowded except the really large Cafés. Don’t know if those will be an option weather wise while you are there and might drive more people inside. I know it is hard with kids but I would try for reservations.

I assume you applied for the French Pass Sanitaire?

George

can’t apply anymore - my application was pending for over 45 days. My wife’s was approved immediately.

As of November, you have to go to a designated pharmacy and pay 39e for the pass.

Yeah I know I gotta make a res but I have no clue how my kid is gonna deal with jet lag the first few days. So trying to find places for walk ins. Wine is not a focus this trip so good/bad wine lists don’t really matter unfortunately.

1 Like

Technically in the 5th, but just above the Pantheon so if you’re doing a walking tour and hitting there and Luxembourg Gardins: (also from 3 years ago, before Notre Dame burned, etc…)
Nouvelle Mairie- lots of natural wine influence to the list, a fair number of funky hipster names but also good standards. Very casual, almost a residential/neighborhood restaurant vibe, food wasn’t pretentious but very enjoyable I thought. Had Cantillon on draft, which sucked me in immediately, and some other small production regional beers.
Also a block from a small but very good wine store, Caves du Pantheon.

Just up from Comptoir is a tiny but excellent beer bar, La Robe & La Mousse, lots of excellent local stuff.

1 Like

Woo. 2 mins from our Airbnb. :+1::+1:

Agree that Les Bon Georges is great, but reservations were definitely needed when we ate there last month, at least for dinner.

The wine list at Les Bon Georges gets picked apart pretty quickly.

Galley setup upstairs with a bigger hangout space downstairs, very tidy 16 line draft lineup with a fair number of bottles. Found them because the somm at Nouvelle Mairie was also a brewer and R&M had some of his stuff. No food, just a place to hang with a couple pints, but so many other places for food just steps away you won’t miss it.

1 Like

yah no res available for dinner - also my wife eats her beef well done so I don’t want to insult them.

Fun place for kids and about a 2 minute walk from Park Hyatt is Le Soufflé for lunch or a treat during the day

1 Like