Is it Safe to Travel to Mexico? (Puerto Vallarta) Also, Recs?

We are considering renting a condo/home in Mexico – likely Puerto Vallarta – in February. Has anyone been recently and/or does anyone have thoughts on safety? I’m less worried about Covid (because we would limit our indoors contact with others) than I am with crime. I recognize that crime can happen anywhere, but the recent shooting near the resort section of Cancun (I know it’s on the other side of the country) has me a touch concerned.

Also, if anyone has traveled to PV recently and has recommendations, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

We were in the Punta Mita area a month ago. I would not worry about crime in Mexico. Certainly there are cartel issues but the chances of getting swept up in anything is minimal to non-existent. Guns are impossible to buy in Mexico unlike here where they are given out seemingly to anyone. Heading to Playa del Carmen in January. I have driven up and down Riviera Maya many times. Never have felt unsafe. Have been to Mexico City multiple times never have felt unsafe. It is a wonderful country.
From a Covid perspective LOTS of mask wearing even outside. Although I am guessing their VAX rates are lower as their access is not like ours.

George

1 Like

Thank you for the courtesy of your reply. I wasn’t terribly worried until the Napervillian who shall not be named questioned the safety. But I’ve been to Mexico many times in the past and have always enjoyed my travels.

Who would mess with him?

(Besdes all of us here. [wow.gif] )

Assuming you get his wallet, he’s unlikely to chase you down.

1 Like

I could never reach it if in his back pocket. My arms are unusually short. cheesehead

Ha! ask him when the last time he was in Mexico… [snort.gif]

George

Setting aside the coy shots at my weight; the specific comment made to Corey was about his desire to use an Air BNB vs a resort.

My comment was a concern about that housing model in Mexico.

Example; are Air BNB’s more obvious targets for theft?

Certainly the cartel activity is a concern in Mexico as is the ‘which police force do I trust’, and in the event of a bad outcome, would you be capable of properly getting help?

My risk evaluations are possibly different than others but I also consider Corey a dear friend, so this was a line of discussion in with his best interest at heart.

Glad others have stated ‘it is safe’.

1 Like

There was a big issue with liquor poisoning prior to COVID. I have not heard much about it recently.

I think it is a valid point. I have done VRBO in Mexico 3 times… BUT we stayed in a house with care takers and security on the beach at night. I would guess Corey would be in a similar situation as it seems to be quite the norm in Mexico in tourist areas as labor is quite inexpensive. That being said I would not do VRBO (probably) in somewhere like Mexico City. Your concern would be theft not cartel activity.

George

Candidly, I haven’t seen any AirBnB listings that specify there is security, so I assume that there is none. I guess I will look into that.

(I have a terrible issue of researching so much that I cannot make a decision…not ideal)

I’m usually one to not live my life based on fear. I’d have no problem heading to Mexico. But I’d have to think long and hard about about an Air BNB. My first thought would be a hotel.

We go to Mexico every year and PV is a favorite destination. We usually rent house or apartment on AirBnb or VRBO. We’ve never had a problem and the value is solid. I lived in Mexico City for a year in the 80s and have never felt unsafe in Mexico. There is petty crime, just like anywhere. Some places have more trouble with this than others. PV, by my perception, has less petty crime than other beach towns, such as Puerto Escondido or Sayulita. Cartel violence is real, but the odds of it impacting a tourist are pretty miniscule.

In PV, we like the vibe of Old Town and the Romantic Zone. Love walking the Malecon in the evening and there are lots of great restaurants and, of course, street food. If you haven’t tried Raicilla, the local version of Tequila, it’s delicious. The version made around El Tuito is especially good. Gaby’s restaurant has good local versions.

If you like a more suburban/golf vibe, Punta Mita or Nuevo Vallarta are good alternatives.

1 Like

Sorry.

A large group (~40) of us stayed in Puerto Vallarta in July. Everything felt very safe and mask usage was very high. As far as crime goes, not one person in our group experienced or saw any kind of crime. Our group ranged from young adults that went to clubs every night to older folks that just hung at the resort. If you have any specific questions regarding PV, feel free to send me a message as I’ve been there several times.

1 Like

We too like the old town but we have friends that visit Sayulita twice a year for month long stays and they wouldn’t go anywhere else.

Mark,

Most likely heading to Cabo in February. Any recommendations for resort/hotels? Will be there with my wife and two teenage daughters and her sister’s family of same dynamic. Thanks!

dependent on what part of the area you want to stay. Cabo, corridor, or San Jose.

Have been numerous times and actually heading down again this sunday

Depending on how many people, I’d seriously look at Montecristo Villas (3-4bedrooms, private pool). Spent 4 nights there last December. In a sense part of Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach. Can be booked through Air BnB

sorry for the thread drift Corey

1 Like