NYC: Restaurants near the theater district

We have tickets to a couple of shows, and from past experience, I’d like to find some restaurants within walking distance of the theaters (The Nederlander, and The Brooks Atkinson). Thanks.

Jeff- here’s a pre-pandemic list I was using. Check em out online and see if any are close & suit your needs

Mercato 39th 8th & 9th Italian
Parker & Quinn 39th 5th & 6th Burger/Steak/Seafood/Flatbread
Legasea 36th 485 7th Seafood
Legacy Records 38th 10th & 11th New American
Boqueria 40th 7th & 8th Tapas
Ortzi 41st Bwy & 6th Spanish
BXL Café 43rd 6th & 7th Belgian
Strip House 44th 5th & 6th Steak
The Marshall 44th & 45th East 628 10th New American
Nizza 45th & 46th 630 9th Italian/Pizza
Lattanzi 61 W 46th North 5th & 6th Italian
Bond 45 46th 7th & 8th Steak/Pasta/Pizza/Antipasto
Joe Allen 326 W 46th South 8th & 9th
Le Rivage 46th South 8th & 9th French
Barbetta 46th North 8th & 9th Italian
Orso 46th South 8th & 9th Italian
701 West 48th 7th American
Print 48th 11th New American
Da Marino 49th 8th & Bwy Italian
Oceana 49th 6th & 7th Seafood
Thalia 50th 8th & Bwy New American/Sushi/Pasta/Steak (now closed)
The Palm Westside 50th 8th & Bwy Steak
Toloache 251 W 50th 8th & Bwy Mexican
Don Antonio 309 W 50th 8th & 9th Pizza
Aldo Sohm Wine Bar 151 W 51st North 6th & 7th Seafood
Ocean Prime 52nd North 6th & 7th Seafood
Mastros 52nd 6th & 7th Steak
Bob’s Steak & Chop House 52nd 5th & Madison Steak
Angelos Pizza 53rd 1697 Bwy Pizza
Quality Bistro 55th South 6th & 7th French
Angelos Pizza 57th 6th & 7th Pizza
Quality Italian 58th 6th Italian
Quality Meats 59th 6th Steak

db bistro moderne in midtown has always been our go to.
They have a special menu just for those who want to make shows.
The food and wine list are good.

I’ll second DB Bistro Moderne and add La Grenouille.

New Romanian Steakhouse called Bacall’s on 44th between 7th & 8th is an absolutely gorgeous space and the food is delicious.

2 Likes

Sounds like perfect place for Daniel Humm.

Afraid they’ve closed this restaurant, “temporarily” but no sign of reopening to my knowledge.

Best,
Jonathan

There is the whole row of 55th bet 5-6th which includes Benoit and Il Corso.
NORMA Hell’s Kitchen 53rd & 9th-Sicilian & pizza
Kochi 46th & 10th modern Korean
Churrascaria Plataforma-Brazilian steakhouse 49th bet 8-9th

Seconding Benoit and Kochi (really great). Also Danji on 52d. Gallagher’s if you want a nice steakhouse vibe (great bar). Bar Centrale above Joe Allen (have to call a week out to reserve). If you go there after the shows, you’ll definitely see actors sauntering in. Jeff Daniels came in when we were there a few weeks ago. Ippudo on 51st if you feel like excellent ramen. The Rum House in the Edison for a pre- or post-theater drink (or Jimmy’s Corner on 44th if you want one of the few remaining “real” bars in midtown). It’s a little cramped, but Pure Thai on 9th Ave is excellent. Tim Ho Wan also on 9th for dim sum. Lots of stuff if you pick through the nonsense in the area.

2 Likes

Oh, and from the long list above, Thalia is closed. But Toloache and Don Antonio are open and both quite good. I find Ocean Prime and Oceana to be super-corporatey.

Oh and I forgot all about the Aldo Sohm Wine Bar next to Le Bernardin. Lovely spot, and quite good small (and medium) plates.

1 Like

Stopping by to thank you for this list, Al. We had a long weekend in the Theater District and tried many of your suggestions:

Tim Ho Wan: The perfect casual spot for food we don’t find at home the day we arrived. Loved the spicy pork dish.

Benoit: A truly beautiful restaurant with flawless service, a fabulous wine list and top flight spirits program. We enjoyed Benoit so much for dinner we returned for brunch on our last day.

Bar Centrale: Easy to get into after a matinee. A very hip space. Their classic cocktails were some of the best I’ve had in recent memory and love their inventive way of serving them. Our group of four tried most of the menu, they were kind enough to divide everything served family style including the grilled cheese sandwich. While cocktails are the star here they had a nice Amarone we enjoyed with the food.

The Rum House: Good cocktails but unfortunately seated next to a very loud table. Would try again.

Also had a super lunch at Charlie Bird and a memorable dinner at Le Bernardin.

Thank you so much for these recommendations.

Very interesting lists and comments. We will be attending a brand new show, “Paradise Square,” in late March and need a new spot to try.

Cheers!
Marshall

Cheers. Glad it was helpful.

A few minute walk (New Yorkers don’t care about a few minute walk), try Friedman’s. Multiple locations. Good food. Not fancy. Edison Hotel on 47 | Hours + Location | Friedman's Restaurant | 9 Locations in New York City, Gluten Free Pioneers

I have said this before, NYC is the greatest food city in the world. And the worst area to eat in is the Theater district / Midtown. If you care enough about food and wine to read a wine board why not venture 10 minutes outside of this area. Just a thought…

All of that is true, but some of us live in that neighborhood, and if you dig a little there are some gems.

champagne.gif

I am sure there are and would love some recommendations. And apologies I did not mean to insult your neighborhood. I just think many posters here try to be too precise with their requested locations which is hard to do in NYC.

Ha. No offense taken. I constantly insult my neighborhood. But for example, in recent years a few modern Korean spots have opened that are doing really interesting things. First Danji on 52nd, then Kochi and Mari on 10th and 9th Aves respectively. Kochi is a standout.