Wineries in Radda in Chianti

Planning our May trip to Tuscany. Will be heading to Florence from Pienza and will be spending a couple of days in Radda in Chianti. Any winery recommendations in Radda?

I can’t recall visiting wineries in Radda, always stayed in Barberina Val d’Elsa, but google results show 2 familiar names, Castello di Brolio and Castello di Verrazzano, whose wines I’ve enjoyed in the past.

1 Like

I have a few. Need to look up the names from our trip 7-8 years ago.

1 Like

Thanks guys

Anybody been to??
-Montevertine

-Volpaia

-Istine

-Caparsa

The ones we really enjoyed were Valdellecorti and Setriolo. Both small, family run places that made great Chianti and olive oil.

Isole e Olena is about 30 minutes away. Haven’t been but believe I’ve seen positive posts about visiting.

Where are you staying in Radda ?

1 Like

Vignale

We went to Volpaia, which was across the valley from an old farmhouse in Radda that we rented on our honeymoon. Had a lovely visit, but that was 28 years ago, so our experience may no longer be relevant

1 Like

Capannelle over in Gaiole is outstanding.

1 Like

Volpaia is definitely very curated, but enjoyable. Tasting in their wine library was pretty awesome.

I enjoyed Fattoria Poggerino and Azienda Agricola Il Barlettaio. And if you’re willing to explore a little further, my favorite unassuming winery was Terre di Perseto in San Casciano. It’s a pretty cool drive from Radda through Greve to there. On the way, below Monte San Michele is tiny Badia a Montemuro with a delicious osteria: Osteria Il Rifugio del Chianti.

1 Like

+1 to this. Very small, casual tasting environment. Really solid wines. And they’re represented in the US by Ansonia Wines who was a new participant in BerserkerDay XIII!

1 Like

Did you taste with John?

Probably but I can’t remember his name specifically. He was very nice. We had an outing planned the next day (to Siena?) and he offered us some insider’s tips. Even shared his cell phone # with me in case we had any problems. Of course, I had to take him up on that offer and he was most helpful!

@R_M_Kriete - where did you end up visiting in Radda ?

We’re going back to Pienza in October and looking at hitting a spot on our way up to Florence. Not sure the group will want to hit another winery as we’ll do one day of tasting when we’re in Pienza. Considering a village visit as well considering Aruzzo, somewhere in Chianti or San Gimignano as another option.

Went to Istine. Had a great visit. The host walked us out to the vineyards and then we tasted through their entire lineup. Stellar wines and don’t forget to ask to taste their vermouth

Of course it goes without saying, we expect an in depth report of your entire trip. Daily postings will be just fine :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

If you’re looking for not a winery, I highly recommend having lunch/dinner at Casa Porciatti. Great food and wine selection, and the restaurant is built inside the original medieval walls. Well worth a visit. The somm is also very knowledgeable in case you want to take a case or three home. Wide selection of Chianti wines.

1 Like

Thanks Luca, I saw a recommendation for this Enoteca on Vineous as well. Do they have a full menu or just meats/cheeses ?

Full menu and plenty of higher end wines on coravin.

1 Like

Honestly Radda is not that much of a visit unless you go see the wineries. On your way from Pienza to Florence if it’s just for sightseeing I would stop in Monteriggioni, San gimignano and Colle val d’elsa