Planning wine trip to Rhone later this year. Seeking advice on where to stay in North Rhone. Vienne? Ampuis? Tain?

newhere

I assume you will have a car. I suggest Vienne if you want a city feel. I also assume there are tons of small, quaint airbnb type places. Years ago, I stayed in Lyon and hit all the areas as well as the Macon and Beaujolais AOC. Lyon is a great town.

When we did the Rhone, we loved staying at Maison Pic in Valence - lovely room overlooking the internal courtyard and easy to roll upstairs after dinner. Maison Pic, Boutique Hotel in Valence, France – Relais & Châteaux

Although we didn’t stay there, another option with excellent food is Michel Chabran in Pont d’Isere. An easy drive from Maison Pic for dinner. ⇒ M.Chabran | Hotel Restaurants Drome, Valence - OFFICIAL

We stayed a night or 2 in Vienne (at La Pyramide) and a night or 2 in Tain l’Hermitage at Les 2 Coteaux.

If you are doing N Rhone, I’d stay in either of those. La Pyramide is a beautiful, modern hotel and Vienne is a small bustling town. Les 2 Coteaux is certainly more quaint (though sitting on a balcony with a view of the bridge at night is one of the better hotel room experiences anywhere) with incredibly warm and personal service. The proprietor could not have been more helpful and accommodating. Tain itself is quite small and a bit sleepy, but has a nice town square with restaurants and wine bars.

We ate at Maison Pic for dinner one night. It is superb and one of the best overall dining experiences I’ve had. However, Valence is quite a ways south if you are sticking to just Northern Rhone.