Retirement Location - Knoxville / Chattanooga / Nashville

We will be visiting TN in March looking for a potential year-round Retirement location from Chicagoland. I know Nashville is getting pricey. Any recs on areas, retirement communities, etc.? We would consider new construction or existing…$400K - $500K price point (we would be downsizing). Actual move would be 2 years out while we wait for our daughter to graduate from University of Louisville. Thanks in advance!

Check out city-data forums. A wealth of info.

Also early-retirement.org. Also great info on retirement places and retirement in general.

1 Like

Thanks Michael! Much appreciated…

Cheers,
JP

Hey John! I’m in similar boat. You’re smart to look in advance of your ultimate retirement. I bought a total renovation project in East Nashville two years ago, hoping to put a stake in a cool area before it got out of reach financially.

There are still options in $500 range in parts of Nashville, especially if you need DIY projects to entertain you in retirement… But you’ll be in East or North, or in an HPR (two homes on one lot) or condo. Nashville is really fun. I’m an architecture and design fanatic and there’s plenty to feast the eyes here, along with my foodie obsessions. I found restaurants here to be outstanding. It’s also beautiful for outdoor hiking/biking. And the weather is never boring. On the flipside, the litter and loud cars remind me of Los Angeles in the 1970’s.

I’ve recently become a fan of Columbia which is really sweet little historic town about 40 miles south that DOES have a bit of a foodie scene along with its very charming downtown. I’m occasionally tempted to leave the noise of Nashville, and I keep an eye on real estate in Columbia. My friend lives just across the river from downtown Columbia and loves it there. As he tells it, the town made a concerted effort to start courting retirees a few years back, has really helped the town. Now they’ve got a GM electric vehicle battery plant going in, etc. which provides incomes to support more goodies in town. They also invested heavily in historic building restoration in the downtown square, added fountains etc. Gratefully, unlike Nashville, they know what they’ve got in those historic assets and there’s no blight downtown and a beautiful stretch of gorgeous antebellum and late 1800’s homes lining the main stretch to downtown. They’ve established a new arts district, and dang, cute lil boutiques opening up…

I stopped in a few places one Sunday, had a great time. A chef couple started the Lime & Loaf in what was an old Firestone/Goodyear tire shop, anchoring a lineup of small gourmet retailers (in the stretch of former rollup doors to the repair bays), including the Tallgrass Meat company which is awesome. I don’t know if there’s a decent wine shop in Columbia but have noodled on researching this, maybe moving down there to be that person… I’d say worth a stop for you. Go to the Duck & Board for brunch. Small, cute, outstanding food, and reasonably priced, right downtown. I really noticed all the good work the City government has done because Nashville’s government is totally incompetent and it’s frustrating to watch historic assets be abused, trash not picked up, random abuse of zoning and other permit rules… it’s really the Wild West here! And the resident is last on the priority list. Very developer/business/tourist friendly town. I bet they gave away the store to Amazon, Apple, Oracle, they seem to think they’re still desperate for development after being the destination City for what five years now? They truly don’t know when to let off the gas… Just raise taxes on homeowners to balance all the giveaways. Still, the food scene is great and the Wild West vibe is fun.

I’ve got neighbor pals from Chicago, NCarolina, Miami. Felt very welcoming for an out-of-towner when I first arrived. Getting testy lately with house/rental prices up 40% since 2019…

1 Like

Good info Michael, this was useful for Nashville area. Helpful comments/threads both positive and negative. It’s valuable, I have learned, to hear other transplant’s perspective. Honestly, I’d make a better real estate agent for newbies than a longtime “local.” Like, here in East Nashville, the native residents sort of take pride in all the lawlessness especially say on New Years’ Eve with yahoos shooting off rounds into the air… You express your shock on a local FB page, and they hiss “What Western state are you from?” Whereas all my neighbors who are former residents of civilized areas, we’re all shaking our heads stunned at the noise, trash, general disrespect for others that’s tolerated. Little things you don’t notice when you’re first visiting and falling in love with the architecture and restaurants and parks :slight_smile:

@Emily…Please PM if you are interested in being part of the next gathering. We have a good local group.

@John…Emily is right…$500k won’t get you much…you will need to look put a bit. Several townhouse developments popping up…might be able to get in early. Try looking in Bellevue area perhaps. Shebis also right that Davidson Co. is a bit of a mess…higher taxes too. Columbia is a hike, though depends on how close you want to be to the city. If looking at other places, Chattanooga is very up and coming…food, etc. Coming from Chicago as you are, sports is great in Nashville…strong support for Titans, Predators and new MLS team. Let us know when you are in town for diligence…we can get the group together.

Good info Emily and Adam! Thanks and much appreciated! Already sounds like my price needs to go up…but yes…food, wine, hiking, outdoor activities and now if I can only find a home with an arts / crafts / Frank Lloyd Wright influence ; ) That will require some more capital…

Adam I will reach out if our schedule allows. Having our college age daughter with us may prevent us from participating in an offline ; )

Cheers,
JP

You wouldn’t consider Asheville, two hours east of Knoxville would you? Apparently it’s something of a mecca for retirees. Looks like median home price similar to Nashville though. But I hear it may be easier to ship wine to NC than to TN :slight_smile:.

As one who has moved in retirement to a new city, make sure you understand the tribe that you are moving into. We spent a lot of time in our new city beforehand to really gauge what we were getting into. If you don’t like the people, all the amenities in the world won’t matter. Also before you pull the trigger on any new house, visit it at different times of the day and night. You might be surprised what you see. One house we considered was at the end of a quiet, cul-de-sac with beautiful mountain sunset views. In the dark of night it turned into a party spot for local teens.

Funny you should say that. We visited Asheville once and at Euchre my wife said “Asheville is my #1 relocation destination…” so it is in the running. We just need to see more, take our time, and then decide. IL shipping laws have changed (no retailers like Kermit Lynch) but my wine mailing lists work! ; ) We also thought about visiting all of the National Parks while a new retirement home is under construction…

Cheers,
JP

To your point Michael we thought about renting…so we can experience the vibe, weather, etc. before making a purchase decision. Are you in Denver? I might be confusing you with someone else (not you, Mel Hill ; ) Grad school was at D.U.

Cheers,
JP

I used to live in Denver, but we live about 4 hours west of there now and love it.

Good for you! My wife still works but she can work anywhere. 3 years she could call it quits? Who knows. These decisions can be complex…and could change!

I believe your money will go farthest in Knoxville, but the city is different than Nashville and Chatanooga (and Asheville).

East Nashville is your place to find a gem in the bungalow varietal. I wish I was a real estate agent… You came to mind when this cutie just listed as “Coming Soon”… and under contract in five minutes, but inspirational. Great little street, walking distance to good vibe restaurants. 111 Lindsley Park Dr, Nashville, TN 37206 | MLS# 2347109 | Redfin

Thanks K N and Emily. I will keep E. Nashville in mind. Our daughter turns 21 a month prior so me thinks she will request some entertainment during this trip. One week will not allow much time but it should give us a flavor of where to do additional research / visits.

Cheers,
JP